Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to store backsaws

Question How to store backsaws

I currently have my backsaws stored flat in drawers in a wooden chest but have been thinking about more efficient storage. I've considered a till but, since I'm currently leasing I can't mount to walls and don't know what my next place will look like I've got that idea on hold.

I do have an underutilized deep drawer and have considered building a "stand" with parallel dados, width sized and spaced for each saw and each saw stored teeth-down in the dado. My explanation my stink but thing of the display stands we see Pedder's and others saws in, except wider to handle more saws.

My question / concern is whether or not the wood touching the blade in the groove long-term would discolor or damage the blades. I'd hate to damage any (and especially not all) of my saws.

Your thoughts?

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Jim I store backsaws that have an open handle in a drawer in my large wooden tool chest. Closed handled saws get hung on pegs over my bench, as I reach for them more and they are stable on a peg (not something I would risk with an open handle saw). This solution works for me. Perhaps not as efficient as possible, but it works nevertheless.

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I've always hung all of mine on something. Now they're hanging on pegs on the outside of a till, including the dovetail saws with open handles (they have enough on them to stay on the dowel).

The dowels are angled upward so that the saws stay against the edge of the till and don't make their way off.

When I used pull saws only, I had prophylactics on all of the teeth of my different saws. I can't tolerate that any longer, it seems over the top, and I can't see the teeth, so if they rusted in the prophylactics on a western saw, I wouldn't be able to see it.

I'm in the same predicament - an embarrassment of riches (if saws are riches).

I picked up a wide dresser and have begun to cut two parallel blocks with kerfs to hold each saw. The boards are ganged together, and each saw cuts it's own kerf.
    There's some tilt required, to fit the bigger handles into the larges drawer. The only hassle with this is that the biggest ones have to be toward the rear of the drawer.

Which saw do you suppose I use most often?

I've just completed a bench top "remodel" filling in the tool tray which was replaced by a cantilevered holder.
    That's where the backsaws go, and they're easy to reach.P1040052.jpgP1040053.jpg

I built boxes that allow me to store them standing upright on their handles so to speak. I store them teeth facing in for safety. They are butt ugly boxes, but they work well.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I like to store my saws in a till because they are protected, yet readily accessible.

I put eye bolts through the top of the till that create two metal circles that allow me to hang the till/saws on peg board. That way when I inevitably break my sweeping declaration not to buy any more hand tools, I can easily move the till to make way for the new arrivals.

This also works if you don't want to leave permanent marks on the wall besides a couple Molly bolts to hang the pegboard. Below are some pictures of a simple pine till I keep my backsaws in that hopefully shows the eye bolt/pegboard arrangement I'm talking about.

All the best, Mikectill6.jpgDSC_0771.jpg

Blog Entries
    Why did I just buy saws when I could have just snuck into Mike Allen's shop and borrowed a few, he never would have known. Wonder why those saws are not hanging with the handles up?

Thanks for the pictures, Mike (Allen), I hadn't considered eyebolts.

On the other hand, with my L-Ns, LV's, Blue Spruces, Rob Cosman's and Knew Concepts' in a tall wooden machinist's toolbox, they're out of sight when my bride of 21 years walks through my shop on the way to her car. She never complains when I get a new tool but I also don't have them "displayed" all at once!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I've always stored saws with no, as in zero, pressure on the blades. That usually means hanging from the handle for me, or using a magnetic strip for the straight handled. Storing saws laying down on their sides is not a great idea.

Jack

With the delivery of my LN workbench I have been inspired to mount my back saws in my hanging tool cabinet I built 20+ years ago... ;0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    With the delivery of my LN workbench I have been inspired to mount my back saws in my hanging tool cabinet I built 20+ years ago... ;0
    There's too much space in your cabinet.
    It's not good for so much air to circulate around cast iron.

More tools would displace excess air, which inhibits rust, which makes tools last longer, which saves money.

Therefore, buying more tools is actually cheaper than having only a few.

If I couldn't hang a till, I would simply take a piece of foam, cut a kerf and stick the saw in there. If I was somehow concerned about the handle not being supported, I would take another piece of foam and glue it on right under the handle to support it. I'm not into making shop furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

More tools would displace excess air, which inhibits rust, which makes tools last longer, which saves money.

I like the way you think my good sir.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

I'll make sure I tell my wife your thesis
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Use specialized cleats

I hang my back saws on the inner door panels of my tool cabinet using a series of specialized cleats

Dominic Greco