Thread: Peach HF...last for today, promise!

Peach HF...last for today, promise!

Ok...last thing to post today...
    This piece is out of some peach, stands a little over 3" tall and about 2+" wide, and has a 3/8" opening.
    Average thickness about 1/8" and finished with AO.

peach hf1.jpg
    I used a 1/4" positive rake carbide cutter (similar to #1 Hunter) on a homemade tool for most of the coring out. I made about 6 of these tools over the last couple weeks for local turners doing ornaments for a Hospice fundraiser. Can't reach much more than about 2" at best with this particualr tool, but it really gets up under the rim nice and down the curve and leaves a finish that requires no sanding in my opinion. If I'm doing a hollowform that can be felt inside, I either use a burred scraper for final cut or a carbide tool. Once you get the knack of carbide, they are invaluable for blending out ridges from conventional scrapers. AAW journal this month has a good article on them.
    This one is already promised...but I can make a limited number if someone is interested.
    tool.jpg
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very interesting wood, Tim, and a beautiful job on the HF. Nice form.

Great looking piece, Tim.

Also like the tool, and I sent you a PM,.,

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I think the small size and the large growth rings are a very interesting combination. Love this shape and nice job working through a keyhole.

Tim,
    Looks like you've been a turning machine with all the posts today. Great work, all of them, but if I was to choose a favorite, it would be the cherry burl HF. Pm sent about the tool.

6. I think you're catching up to Kathy Marshall Tim! Nice form........really small opening in the top, and that is some nice wood. You put a very eye-pleasing form on it.........super job!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is a good looking HF. Interesting wood color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Form is spot on and only the size of the grain gives away the size of the piece! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks all for the positive remarks. I like the 'break' of turning a smaller piece and the challenges of keeping the opening proportionally sized.
    If only I could get my finials down to appropriate size...I'm still working on that, but that's a real challenge, perhaps more than the form timewise.

Nice work Tim! Did you turn this one thin from the start? The color is very similar to a peach one I need to get some finish on. The shape is not nearly as nice as yours though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Nice work Tim! Did you turn this one thin from the start? The color is very similar to a peach one I need to get some finish on. The shape is not nearly as nice as yours though.
    Not sure if I'm answering correctly, but this was turned in just one session and then 2 coats of antique oil finish. I got this wood about a year ago, and had a small log of it (about 5" long) sitting in my shop with anchor seal on each end. I rewarded it for not cracking like other fruit woods by turning it! I've really had poor success with some other wood (like apple) that you've done so well.
    I've found a solid piece like this, that is'nt green and this one really isn't, I can turn most of it and then come back up and work on rethinning it down without fear of movement, if that was your question.
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 12-20-2011 at 10:42 PM.