Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: set off my Sawstop

set off my Sawstop

Well, apparently it works, at least in detecting metal. I was making Christmas cutting boards using my Incra miter gauge and sled and the darn extension had slipped out the cut side of the miter fence (my fault) and got the blade at the end of the cut. WHAM!

After about 5 seconds of marveling how quickly the blade disappeared, it dawned on me that I just burned $200. Talk about an expensive cutting board for my father in-law. Anyone know if Forrest can mend a braked WWII and what it might cost me?

Sigh...score one for the stupids.

Contact Forrest. There have been a number of reports of Forrest being able to repair those blades.
    Howie.........

It is case by case with the blade, you will have to send it to them most likely.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sorry to hear that!

Victor,
    I've done the same thing with my ICS. I sent my WWII back to Forrest and they were able to fix it just like new and sharpened to boot. When I spoke with them at the factory, I was told that they get several blades that have impacted SS saws a month and can fix about 60% of them, so it's certainly worth a shot. Glad you hit metal and not skin. I haven't hit skin with mine either but I suspect if I do; it will be a diaper changing moment. Good luck and have a safe holiday everyone!
    Tom

Welcome to the club! Now you know it works. Buy a $50 Freud blade and keep on cutting.

Ahhh! The advantage of a SawStop. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Ahhh! The advantage of a SawStop. Any others?
    I can think of 10 reasons. But that's just me....

Victor - glad it was metal and not a finger. That price tag certainly is steep for a 'false alarm', but safety often has a price I guess. I hope they can fix that blade.....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Forrest fixed mine -wasn't cheap though. Especially with the shipping costs to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Forrest fixed mine -wasn't cheap though. Especially with the shipping costs to Canada.
    Brian - was it just a matter of replacing broken teeth, or did they have to work on the plate as well?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Victor - I got this when I tried to reply to your PM "Victor Robinson has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

My reply is I got the brake off before shipping it. You don't know what the costs will be until AFTER you get the bill.
    If it happens again I won't send it back. I've fired mine twice due to the mitre gauge.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 12-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian - was it just a matter of replacing broken teeth, or did they have to work on the plate as well?
    Just teeth as I recall. I think the heavier weight of the Forrest blade sort of helps.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 12-20-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Is it 200 each time the brake goes off? Just curious on how much it cost each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Is it 200 each time the brake goes off? Just curious on how much it cost each time.
    Don, the brake cartridge is $70. My Forrest WWII blade may not be completely trashed, but if it is, that's almost $200 total. More like $170. Wish I had been using one of my many other not as expensive blades. So at minimum, you are talking the cost of the cartridge, plus whatever the blade cost or what it will cost to repair the blade. I assume if Forrest can repair the blade, it will cost me more than $30 and less than $100.*

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Victor - I got this when I tried to reply to your PM "Victor Robinson has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

My reply is I got the brake off before shipping it. You don't know what the costs will be until AFTER you get the bill.
    If it happens again I won't send it back. I've fired mine twice due to the mitre gauge.
    Thanks Brian - yeah I've kept having this issue despite clearing space in my inbox...I should probably just wipe it completely and see what happens.