Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to shrink picture file size to post pics on here?

How to shrink picture file size to post pics on here?

Am trying to post pics of my gf's first project but all the pictures are too big in size. What can i do to shrink these?

Blog Entries
    You can resize pictures with a picture editor, like Microsoft Office.

I open them up in Paint, then use the stretch/skew.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I use Paint as well. It's easy and comes with windows. Just remember the numbers you enter into the stretch/skew field are a percentage of the current size. 50% x 50% will reduce your pictures by half whereas 150% x 150% will increase it by 50%.

Easy peasey

Software Recommendation for Posting Images

There's a freeware program called IrfanView that does an excellent job of producing relatively large, clear images with small file sizes. Here's an example of a 37k image:

37k.jpg

A search for IrfanView will bring up sites to download from. The home page for IrfanView is www.irfanview.com.

If you are a windows user, ifranview is free and very easy to use. It has the ability to do cropping, resizing and simple image manipulation (color, contrast etc). You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.

An excellent program - free - but with a steep learning curve is gimp. Runs u'nder windows, MAC or Linuz. The capabilities of gimp come close to if not equal to Photoshop - but as I said, it has a steep learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clifton View Post
    If you are a windows user, ifranview is free and very easy to use. It has the ability to do cropping, resizing and simple image manipulation (color, contrast etc). You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.

An excellent program - free - but with a steep learning curve is gimp. Runs u'nder windows, MAC or Linuz. The capabilities of gimp come close to if not equal to Photoshop - but as I said, it has a steep learning curve

This is a great FREE program!
    http://www.irfanview.com/

Open the photo
    Click on Image then resize/sample. Pick the new size then file "save as" a new file if you want to keep the original.

If you are a Mac user, use Preview, free from Apple with every OS. It handles resizing, color changes, and type conversions (tiff to jpeg, etc.) with aplomb. There's really nothing to learn or study, just get to the Tools menu. It also does a lot of pdf stuff for you, too.

Jack

I use IrfanView also and find it very easy to use.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I can recommend FastStone Image Viewer, it is also a free download

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Does one job and one job only. Runs through explorer, no need to even look at the picture, right click, select the re-sizer and tell it how big you want it.

I'm sure all the other programs mentioned work really well and all that (and I've got and use gimp), but for a simple re-size, nothing better.

Really helpful when you've got full sized pics out of an SLR, a few hundred of them, and only want to re-size them before fiddling with them and make life easier for a computer that's not bleeding edge.

But does just one picture just as nicely.

Thank me later.

Stu.

Guys, this really needs another forum other than "Neanderthal Haven".
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    By George, he's right. Forget using something simple like PixResizer, trim the size of your pic down with a rabbet plane .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.
    One problem with photobucket is after a few years the pictures may get moved or removed. Then the links don't work. I have read through a lot of old threads with links that have died.

There is the tech support forum for questions like this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you're going to use photobucket, you can download the sized file, and then reupload it here - and please do - it's a hassle when the files disappear, as Jim has mentioned.

Are you using any software to get the images off your camera? More often than not, that software has some way to resize the pictures.