Thread: looking for workshop pictures of hybrid woodworkers

looking for workshop pictures of hybrid woodworkers

Still looking for more ideas on how best to layout the shop.

Any hybrid woodworks care to post some photos of your shop layout and what you like/dislike about the layout you have?

Cheers
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

What do you mean by hybrid woodworkers?

How big, what do you use, mostly power and/or handtools? Put as many of the big tools on wheels so you can push them against the wall when they are not is use.

Not sure if this goes against the forum rules or not, so mods feel free to edit or delete this post. I am just trying to be helpful here...

I have a shop page on LumberJocks that is a bit out of date now, but what time I do have has been spent in the shop actually working, not updating my page... I am not a heavy hand tool user, but I DO use both hand and power tools. I have a few hand tools now shown in here like my western style rip and crosscut saws, but I prefer the Japanese saws which is why I posted them...

More changes are coming soon. One of my big upcoming projects is to build a better workbench. Deeper than the one shown, and with storage drawers on the bottom with compartments for things like chisels, hand planes etc...

Sadly Santa isn't surprising me this year, so I know that I am about to unwrap a couple of new planes. A #6 and #7 Groz. I will tune them, and add them to my collection, as funds become available, I will swap out the irons & chip breakers for the Lee Valley (Veritas) replacements... No it won't make the Groz Planes Veritas planes, but I already swapped my #4, and it works so much better it's not even funny...

http://lumberjocks.com/dbhost/workshop
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What do you mean by hybrid woodworkers?
    Hybrid woodworker is someone that does work with both power tools and hand tools. Ideally the person does fairly close to 50/50.

I do all my milling with power tools. I use a table saw, router table, miter saw, and drill press. However, I only do hand mortises and about 90+ of my dovetails are by hand. I go back and forth between sanding and using a plane/cabinet scraper. I jump back and forth depending on what I am working on, the time of day I have to work with(nights are almost always hand tool only), and and also the mood I am in. When I have had a long hard day, I always revert to hand tools.. not sure if it is a zen thing, but I like to turn up the radio, not worry about having the vacuum or air cleaner going, and just enjoy the swisssh sound with the background of a little classic rock.

What I don't have yet is a dedicated hand tool bench or a dedicated shop. I may also be putting way too much thought into the shop, but I want to it once and be done with it(unlike the way I do things at work... plan once, implement twice.)

Thanks for all the posts. I will have to check out the links in the morning..
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

TBH I don't think the answer to your layout will be found in looking at others shops. Its is one of those things that depends totally on your particular space, the tools you have in it and how you work with those tools.
    The degree to which you use hand or power tools is not so important either i think. At the end of the day you use what you will use, break it down and each indvidual tool or technique needs available and appropriate space. Larger machines need floor space and to be positioned or be positionable where they have adequate clearance to work the size of workpiece that you would normally work.
    If you use handtools, you need a bench basically, and probably a small sharpening area or at least the means to set one up on your bench quickly.

So like I say, just break it down to what you have or will use and find a way to make space for it all, you will probably spend many hours pondering this as I have, then, as I have, you will probably set it all up as finally decided then end up moving things about eternally as your workflow and use of the space suggests

roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com