Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project in progress: Kitchen Island

More progress on the batch of 29 drawers, 3 of which are for the island. These 17 are ready to be delivered and installed.

DSC_4245.jpg

The next 12 are all 1/2 coated with the first coat of lacquer. This evening, I'll try to get them done. These are the big ones - will take longer to spray/sand. The 7 matching are 22" deep, 24" wide and 14" tall and go in the master closet cabinets (the 8th matching is already done, @ the top of the first pic). The other 5 (for the kitchen) vary from around 28" to 32" wide, and average 9"-10" tall.

DSC_4247.jpg DSC_4246.jpg

I'm not spending much time of the front and backs - the false fronts will hide the fronts and the backs will never been seen.

UGGGG!! I hate it when I make drawers too tall!!! 4 are too tall. Tablesaw... here I come!!

I was wrong. Only 2 are too tall. Phew!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    UGGGG!! I hate it when I make drawers too tall!!! 4 are too tall. Tablesaw... here I come!!
    Better than too short.

ooops...

not naviagating so well today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt McColley; 04-24-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Wrong thread Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Wrong thread Matt!
    Yeah, but a nice mortiser!! Way to ruin a perfectly good gloat.

Todd, no pics of those installed drawers?? You must have them cut down by now.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Yeah, their cut down, eased on the top corners, lacquered and the lacquer line is blended. All drawer finishing is now done. Next to-do, predrill for false fronts on this last batch and deliver them. Then, I need to finish the uppers, then make 5 pullouts. (Then, 2 more bathrooms, and I'm DONE!)

Making large numbers of drawers is a thankless project! I let my friends at Keystone do that job when I'm working on something that requires a bunch of them. That said, I can appreciate the feeling of "D'oh!!" when something isn't measured quite right and some, um... instantaneous redesign...is required. Been there...done that. And will likely continue to be there and do that into the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I probably should have called this the "Whole house full of cabinets" thread.

I have two more upper kitchen cabinets to complete (they are ready for black lacquer), a guest bathroom, a cherry buffet / wine cabinet and a master bath medicine cabinet in cherry, and all the doors and a few drawers, and I'll be done. This is taking WAY too long. (My dad would agree). I started cutting 11/11/2011.

Here is the latest pic. This is the guest bathroom cabinetry. A sink base with open shelves on the left, a drawer box on the right and a tall cabinet that sits on the counter above the drawer box. Within space constraints and keeping in harmony with the rest of the cabinetry in the house, the link following shows the bathroom it was modeled after. (I love Crown Point's cabinetry!)

guest_bathroom.jpg

Crown Point Cabinetry Bath03

This cabinetry was going to be fennel green (an ML Campbell color, similar to Crown's color), but distressed with a dark brown glaze. However, I got a change order the other day that it will now be light grey to coordinate with the Carrera marble countertop, which is similar to the shower tile.

My construction approach for boxes has been birch ply with poplar face frames. Drawers are 1/2" baltic birch with 1/4" ply bottoms. 1/2" overlay cabinet doors will be poplar frames and 5/8 raised MDF panels, although dad wants some doors to be just 3/4" MDF slabs (master closet, laundry and powder room).

Todd

Good progress today. Got 10 drawer box parts cut out, box jointed and sanded the interiors and cut the bottoms. Tomorrow, they'll get glued up.

When I first made the sink base for the guest bathroom, I installed the side panels on the wrong sides, which put the partition on the wrong side. So, dad's getting yet another garage cabinet. (2 total, so far). I installed the nailers for it, cut the back and installed a piece of 3/4" at the back bottom of the cabinet (akin to a front toe-kick, but all the way back) to close up the underneath to keep the bugs and rodents out. He has some old pine that I'll use for the face frame, drawer fronts and doors.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 11-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.