Thread: Bosch 1617 Router in Table

Bosch 1617 Router in Table

In researching a mid-sized router for my table I've found that I really like what the Bosch 1617ESV has to offer. One thing that has me scratching my head is if the under table router base they sell is any different than the standard fixed base since the fixed base is advertised to allow the user to adjust the height from above the table. As best as I can tell (from looking online) the only difference is that the under table base doesn't have the wooden handles and it comes with the hex wrench needed to make the above table adjustments. Another benefit may be that you'll still have the fixed base with handles available for hand use, but I'm pretty sure most of the time I'll be using my smaller routers for hand use. Does anyone have experience with the under table base?

Thanks,
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

The standard base with the wood handles is still adjustable from above the table. I think the idea of the extra router table base is so that you can mount that one under the table and still be able to remove the motor from under the table and use it like a normal 1619EVS.

My 1617EVS also came with the hex wrench but you can buy one of those for a couple dollars even if it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe View Post
    In researching a mid-sized router for my table I've found that I really like what the Bosch 1617ESV has to offer. One thing that has me scratching my head is if the under table router base they sell is any different than the standard fixed base since the fixed base is advertised to allow the user to adjust the height from above the table. As best as I can tell (from looking online) the only difference is that the under table base doesn't have the wooden handles and it comes with the hex wrench needed to make the above table adjustments. Another benefit may be that you'll still have the fixed base with handles available for hand use, but I'm pretty sure most of the time I'll be using my smaller routers for hand use. Does anyone have experience with the under table base?

Thanks,
    I have both the router table base and the fixed base. You're absolutely right: no difference between the two other than the wooden handles. Although the convenience that you don't have to unscrew the base to use it as a handheld is worth the price IMO.

I have my fixed base 1617evs mounted in a newly completed router table...I had to remove the wooden handles in order to have proper access to the height adjustments. I am curious about the under table specific base though, as I have a couple if nits with my set up. Firstly, you still need to go under the table to set the height, as the locking lever needs to disengaged for making the adjustments (even with the above table wrench). Also the configuration of the base has the motor's cord at an awkward orientation to the adjustment locking lever. I am hoping that since it is not designed for any hand use they have the set so the cord is oriented to the infeed side of the table (where I think most of us put the switch) and the height adjustments facing the front of the table/cabinet door.
    Last edited by Matt Kestenbaum; 12-22-2011 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Typo

It is the same base without the wood handles and the plastic base piece.

Several Home Depots in CT have the Bosch 1617 (w/ fixed base & under table base) on clearance for $149 (from $189). I have the 1617 VS in a Bosch portable table that has been worked hard on job sites for years and is still running strong. Also have the Craftsman badged Bosch fixed/plunge set for hand held use in the field. I think the plunge base is smoother than any other comparable offering by PC or DeWalt. Even came to like the Bosch routers better than the PC 690s I used in my shop (never liked the 890 series).

Thanks for the replies. Amazon has the plunge/fixed base combo for $160 till Christmas and my wife has allowed me to get myself a Christmas present. So it is time to add a new horse to the stable (I hope the PCs don't get too onery with the new stud on the ranch!)
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Matt,

There are two points (opposite ech other) where the motor will fit into the base. Rotate the motor 180* and see if that clears your cord/lock lever interference.