Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning shavings

burning shavings

Hi out there, has anyone tried to effectivley burn lathe shavings for wood heat? Thanks, Martin.

Martin, I would imagine it would work you to death trying to feed a shavings fire. Dry shavings would produce a lot of flame (lot of surface area) and so you would not be able to put much on, but they would burn up quickly. Just my thought.

I think compressing them somehow into logs/pellets, etc. is more the norm.

Blog Entries
    They'd work well as a fire starter, but as John says, compression into pellets for a pellet stove would be the better idea.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Martin, from what I understand from turners I know that have wood burners is that it burns way too hot.
    I turn, therefore I am

Just an idea....

Build a small box out of scrap with a good bottom. Mix some glue with water into a watery paste.
    Then pile in some shavings in the box. Spray each layer with a little of the watery paste as you go.
    Put a piece of wax paper on the top of the box and apply a loose piece of 3/4 ply.
    Put a U shaped mounted brace over the 3/4 ply with a short piece of threaded rod for a press screw.

Apply pressure for a 24 hour period.

Celebrate, you've made a very combustible pressed block suitably sized to match your stove/burner.

Martin, right now as I write this reply, I'm burning shavings. I put them in a plastic bag like the ones you get from grocery stores and put them in my wood burning stove/fireplace. The bag is stuffed with shavings, tied at the handles, and put into the stove with an already burning log... I did this about 45 minutes ago, and just now stirred the shavings. It does get hot.. If you don't already have something burning, or have a small fire, the shavings will just smolder and or snuff out your fire...... Jerry (in Tucson)

I use plane shavings (and now turning shavings) to start my wood stove. Perfect fire starter, MUCH better than any of the commercial duraflame style fire starters. I put down a bed of shavings, put a few small off-cuts on top then the wood to burn. One match and it is a roaring fire.

Not sure it would make the best long-duration fire, it would burn hot, and you'd have to feed it about every 5 minutes.
    joecrafted

Thanks, but I dont like the glue bit, not too good for the air outside! same with the plastic bag method. I have experemented with sizable boxes & pressed the shavings in, I wonder what kind of pressure is needed to dry form a brick shape.

Use 'em to start a fire here.

I seem to recall seeing a note somewhere about people using PVC pipe to compress the shavings into a log then wrapping the logs in newspaper for containment. I don't remember when or where I saw it. Seems like binder would be helpful... Wax comes to mind as a possibility, but I suppose with enough pressure you might not need much binder if any at all.

Burning plastic bags? Not a good idea for a number of reasons, especially indoors..those noxious fumes alone would scare me plus the build up of who knows what in your stove and chimney. Anyways..as others have said..as a fire starter shavings make sense...as a constant source youd work yourself to death.

Instead of using glue like Terry suggested, try using a mixture of flour and water as a binder.

Mine mulch a hillside behind the shop. I usually keep 4 rubbermaid tubs full and dry that I use as litter for the chciken coop that gets changed weekly. The used shavings from the coop head to the compost pile or directly into the garden depending on time of year. The shavings have been scratched and soiled and make perfect fodder. The wood chips usually eat nitrogen and that balances the high potency chicken poo. I am no greenie weenie but waste not want not and the stores dont get any more of my money!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Not worth the bother.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

We do the following: Give them to Potters for pit-firing pots. Use them to start campfires. We are going to try the following: Fill an egg-carton cup with chips, pour melted wax into this, and see if we can make fire-place starter
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.