Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How much does turning REALLY cost?

1. Brian,
    I am a fairly new turner. I took a woodturning class that I saw advertised and the question you have raised was discussed the first evening. We were reminded that if we chose to save money and turn green that a chain saw and pickup truck should be added to the purchase list. His point has proven prescient.
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Bandsaw - Grizzly 514X2

First Chain Saw - little electric saw a friend gave me.

Truck - what my wife wants a year or two from now when we pay off my car.

It looks like a little money is coming in so I have at least a distant hope of getting a new Delta 46-460 or a used larger lathe this year (patience, patience, patience). I actually have not seen a really good deal from Craigslist since starting this thread, but I'm hoping that something magic could happen through contacts at San Diego Wood Turners. I go to my first meeting on january 21.

Despite the whole purpose of this "True Cost" thread, I would be willing to start with as good a machine as possible, then buy tools and accessories one at a time as I can afford them.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 01-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Not sure if this has been covered yet, Brian, but with the school of thought of buying a starter lathe now, then upgrading as you feel necessary, consider this: What would be you ultimate lathe? Sure, we pretty much all want a Robust, but I mean in reason... If it is a Jet 16", look at the spindle size. I believe it is 1 1/4". You might want to look for a first lathe that has the same spindle size. The reason is because then all your chucks, faceplates, etc can transfer over to the new lathe. If the first lathe you get has a 1" spindle, and you get all the accessories for it, then you want to upgrade, you'll have to likely get all new accessories. Of course, some of the chucks have inserts that you could swap out, but you know what I mean. Just food for thought...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    But really, how much additional cash am I going to pay for tools and accessories?
    All of it, give or take a few bucks for beer.

Mike, I'm going to guess my ultimate lathe if I continue would be something like Jet 1642-EVS or Grizzly G0733.

In cars, tools. and musical instruments I go for the best I can get for a decent price point. So yes, they are both 1-1/4" spindle size. I can picture making ordinary size bowls but don't need to be the guy that can make bowls bigger than anybody else.

I have a Grizzly 1023 table saw, 513x2 bandsaw, used 8" Grizzly jointer, used Delta 18/38 belt sander, used Jet 20" drill. Total cost paid for these machines is about $2,450 when purchased. All are full sized tools but not mega hyper tools. If I was only doing turning I would lust for robust, but I want turning as a part of overall woodworking. When I add carving and string inlays to the woodworking arsenal, I want to use them as features, not as something bigger and better than everything else I'm doing. So full size but I don't care about "best and biggest". Useful. Affordable. Sustainable. Fun. Hobby.

In a used tool I can paint, replace belts, replace a basic part or two, but my hobby is not rebuilding machines.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 01-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Brian-
    That's why I got a lathe: 'as part of overall woodworking' (read, to make chair legs and spindles). However, that was naive of me. I fell in love with bowl making, and now easily spend 50% of my discretionary ww time on that.

I don't think it's possible to know whether you'll succumb to the vortex apriori. Rather, I suggest you get a quality mid size lathe that you can resell if you don't like it. That's why I'd stick to one of the popular models.

I'm biased, and I know the prices have increased, but knowing your abilities and projects, I think a perfect lathe for you (budget notwithstanding) is the Delta 46-460 with a bed extension. You'll be able to turn any table leg or spindle on it, and it'll handle reasonably sized hollow forms and bowls. It's variable speed and reversible which makes life a lot easier. Also, this lathe is so popular right now, you could easily resell it for very close to your purchase price on CL, the 'bay or here.

Buying a small lathe is not like buying a small table or bandsaw; smaller flatwork tools usually just means you have to be more creative about how to perform a task. A smaller lathe means you are limited in what you can turn.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    All of it, give or take a few bucks for beer.
    Truer words have never been spoken (or typed).

A lot of responses to this thread. As a beginner turner myself, I have to give props to the Delta 46-460. I LOVE IT!! I am sure I will eventually get to the limits of the tool and will eventually want something that will turn larger than 12", but as a beginner, I don't think you can find something that will allow you to grow and have such success at this price point. I LOVE the variable speed. I don't think I could stand switching belts all of the time. I would say WHATEVER you go with, make sure it has variable speed. There is nothing like being able to speed up and slow down with a simple twist of a knob. It is just a nice, heavy duty tool that has given me nothing but happiness after owning it for almost a year now.

In these replies and other reviews, I keep on reading the word "smooth" about the Delta 46-460. That is one of the most important factors for me in any tool. I know woodworking is noisy, but I don't like scary rattling noise.

I started with the Rikon mini/midi. Sold it and bought the 46-460 when it was on sale at Woodcraft for $450 (if I remember correctly) along with the bed extension and the stand. I absolutely am satisfied -- its more than I need (I generally turn pens and bottlestoppers), but will certainly be there when I "grow" as a turner. It is one sweet machine. I've purchase the "economy" set of 9 tools from Lee Valley, the Nova chuck made for this machine, numerous live and dead centers, steb centers, Beall collet chuck, drill chuck, sanding stuff, and 3 carbide tools from Woodchuck Tools (a competitor to EasyWood and a member on the penturners.org site). I absolutely love the carbide tools - they're about all I use anymore except for the occasional parting tool. I'm probably in about $2 grand.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

How much? Don't know. Not done payin' yet!!!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Just checked out the Delta 46-460 at the local Rockler store. With extension and stand and tax, over $1,200.
    Same at Amazon = $1,000 (plus $77.50 tax that I would add to my IRS return.)
    Lathe and extension from Amazon on homemade stand = $740.

Big difference on my tool budget.

I'm with you Brian. Time vs. money; the age old conundrum. I spent for the stand and am glad I did; I definitely am short on time. Did I have the $$? Errr ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Have you ever owned a boat?????
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart, I was loaned a little catamaran for a summer. Free boat. Free storage. It cost me more than if I had gone down to the dock and rented a brand new fully prepped catamaran on an hourly basis. Just minimum repairs to get it into the water each time.