Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does turning REALLY cost?

How much does turning REALLY cost?

Still just planning my future…

I am 56 now. If I have not stumbled across excess cash or a great deal on a used lathe before I'm 60, then I'll just have to spew out the cash and buy a new lathe on my 60th birthday. I think Delta Midi or a Powermatic seem like nice toys, depending on whether I have $600 or $4,000 for the machine.

But really, how much additional cash am I going to pay for tools and accessories? And don't give me any of this "depends on what you are going to make" stuff, because how do I know what I want to make in the next 24+ years of woodworking after I'm 60????

Just give me a number, or a percentage, or a belly laugh.

Thanks everybody,

Brian

(I've read your answers before, so yes, you can add a new Oneway Lathe or a used Harbor Freight Mini-Lathe to the equation if it makes the you feel better.)
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-23-2011 at 1:31 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I can tell you what I've spent in 2 years:

Delta Midi 46-460: $650
    Extension: $100
    Scroll Chuck: $100
    Turning tools: $400
    Monster hollowing system: $500
    Grinder: $130
    CBN wheel: $200
    Varigrind: $100
    Other accessories (rests, adapters, more chucks, more, more, more): $150

If I knew 2 yrs ago how much I liked this, I would have skipped the MIDI and gone for a something larger. Some of the stuff (rests, chucks, hollowing systems) are sized differently for larger lathes. They make adapters, though... But I've rejected a good amount of 14-20" blanks bkz I don't have the capacity.

- p

Brian, you've jusg answered your own question. ......How do I know what I'm going to turn in the next 24+ years?...

I can tell you that the change in turning equipment during the past 24+ years is astounding. Also, what is being turned when using this equipment is even more astounding....expect even more, much more, changes during the next 24+ years.

I get a chuckle out of people who say that they are buying a lifetime lathe...ther is no such thing for a dedicated turner. In my 70+ years of turning I've owned 9 lathes, each one bigger and better and more expensive than the last one. Tools? Most of us are buying and using tools that didn't exist a few years ago....who knows what's coming in future years.

It doesn't matter what you're going to turn. What matters is how much money you have! Your future expenditures will be directly tied to the amount of money you have available. Increases in revenue will lead directly to new expenditures and a longer list of must-haves... At least that's been my experience a few years into this thing. You can get by on next to nothing after the lathe, a chuck or two, and a few basic tools, but I don't know anyone who has been able to keep it that way.

You can stay simple and focused on one type of turning and you might limit the spending some and keep it in check. I know one thing...when I got mine I wouldn't have forked out the LOTS of money for a 8-pc. bowl turning set and bought them as needed instead. I've still got one or two of 'em I didn't use and they ended up on ebay. Would have had some cash to spend on other turning stuff to start. Add on as necessary and as your turning grows. If you're lucky, you might sell a piece or two along the way to support the addiction. But, it's money spent, for sure. And, more than that? It's fun!

Both Wally and Prashun are correct! I think you realistically look at the immediate costs (3-5 years) and go from there. My investments in the first year were about like Prashun's, except that I got hooked on figured wood and burls and spent a BUNCH more on those.

However, over the second year, I now own 6 chucks, and a larger lathe. I will say that my investment in gouges, etc. does not seem to be as heavy as others have posted. I find myself using the same 4-5 tools all the time, and I haven't seen much need to buy others. My "go to tools" consist of about 10 tools, including parting, bedan, and a couple other "non-gouge" tools.

I am 63, and hoping to retire at 66. I hope to have purchased most of what I might need during the next 3 years. At least at this point, I don't see a want or need for a bigger lathe. In fact, nearly everything I am turning on the Jet 1642 I could have turned on the Delta 46-460. I don't regret the purchase, but it also has not changed what I turn. I do have the option of larger pieces, but they do not "call me" yet.

7. I wish somebody would send John a very large piece of big leaf maple burl............you know one that is about 24 inches in diameter and about 135 lbs..................

I would like to see if he would "feel the call" I also wonder if central kentucky would be the home of a new American Beauty...........................

I know John............with guys like me trying to drown you, it is hard to go near the water!

Sorry Brian..........did not mean to hijack your thread...............just figure the enjoyment and perhaps some additional income from the craft and see how that factors into your perspective............you can simply look at it from a dollars spent perspective or what you get out of it in enjoyment perspective............I choose the latter!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-23-2011 at 2:10 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A lot will depend on whether you buy all your accessories or build some of your own. With my Jet 1642, several Thompson Tools, a McNaughton Center Saver and two chucks, I'm probably $3000 into it. However, I built my own steady rest for about $30, vacuum chuck the runs off my shop van for $15 and my Ellsworth style boring bars for around $16. I'm starting on an articulated arm that is costing me $97. I don't turn exotic stuff, get all my wood locally on the cheap. To get to your question, I guess it depends on how much you buy-vs-make.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Well, I have made more selling turnings that I have spent on my lathe and tools, so my opinion is that turning is FREE. Since it is FREE, I would get it now instead of waiting. YMMV

(You are welcome to use this aurguement with your wife also.)

I have purchased a lot of things I use once in a while, but I do almost all of my turning with just 3 or 4 good quality tools, and 90 percent of it with just a 5/8" bowl gouge. I wouldn't be happy without my 4 jaw chuck ($185), but I get by fine with only one chuck and rarely use more than one set of jaws on it. An 8 inch grinder and a Wolverine system with Vari-grind jig are a must, imho. Unless you want to buy wood to turn, you almost have to have a chainsaw (mine was $350, but they vary in size, quality and price), and a good-sized bandsaw is very helpful, but not absolutely required. A face shield is not expensive, but it should be one of your first purchases.

You don't need to spend $4000 to get a Powermatic. I bought mine a year or so ago for less than $3000; watch for the annual sale and compare prices online. Craft Supplies matched the lowest price I could find and included a gift certificate to boot. Others recommend calling Sean at ToolNut.

Dr. Keller is correct, though, that any excess cash transforms into turning-related purchases. I could get by with what I listed above, but I definitely have not avoided buying much more!

Don't forget to add a chainsaw in there. AND I'd invest in a good one. See the many Husky-Stihl threads. I currently have 2 Stihls, since I found that trimming up blanks and knocking off corners with a 20" saw is a bit tiresome. I'm not quite 56 yet. IF I were younger, it wouldn't be a problem. Had to add a small climbing saw.

However, having a chainsaw gets you "free" wood. I've taken down several trees, and taken the wood. Gave the owners back a bowl from their tree. Everyone's happy.

You have to start first and see what you want/like to turn. Buying $500.00 for monster tools is sort of silly if you never get into turning hollow forms. There is a learning curve on how to use all the special tools, wait and see what you like to do. I think $1000.00 with a lathe and tools will set you up to do many turnings. If it is not what you like, you can probably recoup much of the cash you laid out. Carl

Lets add to necessary items I haven't seen posted yet. Mention has been made ot the chainsaw and bandsaw, so next comes the pick-up truck for hauling wood. As the wood collection increases, there needs to be shop space added for wood storage out of the weather. Might also need an extra addition for the compressor and dust collection system, and of course the heat and A/C must be to service the additional floor space created. And the list goes on with the passage of time, and the newer and larger lathes,...........

Try going trough 120 pen kits a year! As I go back to utility items...they all need accessories. Wine glasses need glass, stoppers need the stopper so on and so forth. Some stuff is just downright spendy...other "needs" nickel and dime you to death.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Everyone is making this too hard with their lists, formulas, and future projections. *Let's make it simple. *A few years ago, the IRS came out with new simplified tax form. *Two lines.

Line 1 How much did you make?
    Line 2 Send it in!

This simple formula applied to turning.

1. *How much you got?
    2. *That's how much it costs!

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!!!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling