Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does turning REALLY cost?

OK, Brian, so it is a simple formula - 100%. That is always the easiest.

Actually, isn't that the same price as a boat?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I would add in a Trend or 3M Dust Helmet. Other ways to go that are cheaper as well. If you want to keep turning you need clean air!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Well, I have made more selling turnings that I have spent on my lathe and tools, so my opinion is that turning is FREE. Since it is FREE, I would get it now instead of waiting. YMMV

(You are welcome to use this aurguement with your wife also.)
    Same here, but if you ask my wife how much, she says too much, I say not enough.

You can spend everything you have and then some, for sure. Shop slowly and wisely.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a camera (Jamie, finger pointed at YOU.......)

If you stop to add it all up, well, it takes too long and you could be turning something........

Please don't let my wife see this thread.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

if we arent counting traded wood as a cost,
    lathe, $125
    motor $5
    gear box and parts $40
    vacuum pump and set up $100
    grinder $75

everything else i have was either a gift, or in the case of chainsaw and fuel, was payed for due to me being at home and needing it for other things
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

As was pointed out to me when I started, you can turn small pieces on a big lathe, but not big pieces on a small lathe. Boysie
    I am NEVER always right but i'm ALWAYS never wrong.

Oh heck....Counting the lathe just plan for for $15K. That will get you a Robust plus most of the other things you just might want. Kinda makes pottery sound better huh?

$Infinity.00

Obviously there are alot of variables to this question; buying new, used, stolen, sales, close-outs, high quality, cheapo's, local, internet, etc., what common tools you have now - your access to wood (wood for turning is much easier "find" in your back yard (nabors or on the side of the road) then flat woodworking) weather you can make your own jigs and all the rest of the things people has listed here.

Heres a thread on some tools to give you some ideas (if you havnt already thought about it) what people use.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ols-do-you-use

not sure if it has been brought up, but:
    - face plates
    - different size and shaped tool rests
    - different size and type of jaws or holding fixtures

Personaly, when i bought my lathe (a year ago-ish - 12" swing, 1/2HP, 42" between centers (bed-extension)) i thought it would last me for a few years - depending on what i get back income tax time, im probly buying a new one. I planed on table legs, dowels, knobs and small stuff - cups, pencil holders, etc.. For bigger bowls 1/2HP is not enough for me, when i want to hog some 'green' wood, i stall it eazy - taking light cuts works fine, also i want to do "off-center" work and the 12" swing is not enough and the current lathe i have (rikon) is not a varibule speed, which was a mistake on my part, i should have known better (will not make that mistake twice).
    So, if i had to do it over again i would get a lathe that i can turn 'out-board' or that has a larger swing but also alteast 36" between centers to i can make table legs and fancy "corners" on dressers.

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

I thought you guys were really smart on here.......

My wife pays for all my junk

You guys are forgetting the "wife tax" of 100% equal spending on things for them. I find that "shuts them up" pretty easy. Just cost more!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Not sure if I am typical but I bought a used mini lathe with lots of turning accessories my first year for $1000. After realizing I was definitely hooked for the long term, I bought a new Powermatic 3520. So half of what I spent on woodturning in the past five years was spent the first year. I spend more on education (club dues, magazines, books, videos, symposia, woodturning workshops, etc.) than I do on equipment. I don't work at making money from turning but occasionally do with the sale of a few small items or a small turning project or commission. I give most of my stuff to friends and family. Now my hobby almost pays for itself. It is a retirement hobby that I do not want to become a job.
    God is great and life is good!

Lets just talk about the last 60 days.
    1- 3520B
    1-Monster Hollowing rig (captive and articulated)
    1-Stihl 391 chain saw
    The 3520 was paid for in sales. But the rest was all out of pocket. Don't tell the little woman.

You are limiting yourself to a false choice; either the cheapest or most expensive.

Look at the Nova 1624 at around $1200 normally and $900 on sale. It is a full size lathe and is well thought of.

Neal Addy has a comprehensive list of lathes that should open up some possibilities.

http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Run for your life!! it's more habitual than drugs and more expensive.------old forester