Thread: Festool Vacuum Problems

Festool Vacuum Problems

I recently purchased a festool CT26 vacuum, I have used it a few times prior to today, then today I was using it continuously for about 30 minutes to 1 hr (I thought it was about 30 minutes, but I lost track of time, so it could have been closer to 1 hour. The vacuum shut off, and won't restart. I assume it was overheated and shut off for temperature, but it has been off for a couple of hours, and it still won't restart. It acts like it is starting, then immediately shuts down. I am using it with a dust deputy.

I have checked all of the hoses, the filter bag and the filter, everything is open with no obstruction. I don't see anything in the manual, but is there a switch that I need to reset if it overheats? If not are there any other options?

Ask these guys:

www.festoolownersgroup.com

Thanks, I should have thought of them, I found that forum when I was researching the purchase, but I had forgotten all about it.

I would contact the dealer where you bought it to see if it's still under warranty. It should have reset after it cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    I would contact the dealer where you bought it to see if it's still under warranty. It should have reset after it cooled.
    A Festool vacuum should not have gotten hot enough to trip the heat sensor, no matter how long you used it. If the unit is not defective, there would have to have been a serious blockage of the air for it to get that hot.

So if the unit wasn't choked up with swarf, and you can't find any other blockage, I'd definitely take it back as defective.

Mike

[The motor cooling air probably does not come through the vacuum system but is drawn in from the top or side of the unit. Check to see if there are any blockages there.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

None of the air inlets or outlets are blocked, I emptied the dust deputy and there was about 1" of dust/debris in it, and the bag and filter look as if they've never been used. I purchased online through Sears in early November, I assume that since it's been more than 30 days, I need to send it to Festool for repair

umm bag...?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gwin View Post
    I recently purchased a festool CT26 vacuum, I have used it a few times prior to today, then today I was using it continuously for about 30 minutes to 1 hr (I thought it was about 30 minutes, but I lost track of time, so it could have been closer to 1 hour. The vacuum shut off, and won't restart. I assume it was overheated and shut off for temperature, but it has been off for a couple of hours, and it still won't restart. It acts like it is starting, then immediately shuts down. I am using it with a dust deputy.

I have checked all of the hoses, the filter bag and the filter, everything is open with no obstruction. I don't see anything in the manual, but is there a switch that I need to reset if it overheats? If not are there any other options?

Not gonna lie I should have known better. But uh, yeah I don't have a bag in my CT MIDI 1. Brand new, didn't come with a bag - not in the box, not in the vac canister. So I thought that was the norm - they even tell you straight up there's no setup required. I've had it a little over a year I believe. From jump it felt a little lean, at least compared to the VacuMaid with 30' hose I use for general shop cleanup (that thing is a beast btw). My MIDI only gets used with tools, no cleanup action. Well today I realized it had almost zero suction left - couldn't even pickup its own little pile of dust that dropped out when I took the lid off to empty it. I pulled out the filter and it was very caked up, but I got it clean. Checked for hose blockage.

So what's the deal all (and Festool, I know you're watching )? Why no bag? And is my vac effed?

Sorry for bumping this older thread but like...I'm a tad PO'd rn. In the middle of a big project and obv don't want to spend the money to replace a pretty dang newish one with low mileage on it. I mean if you saw it and I told you it was brand new you wouldn't be able to tell. It shouldn't be this far gone at this point.

Start a repair ticket w/ festool……………..there is nothing you can do yourself, plus it’s under warranty-which you paid for upfront in the cost of the vac.

You’ve either got a bum turbine -or- you fried the board if the dust deputy was not grounded.

Running it for an hour is nothing. I've sanded a table top for easy 2+ hours with constant start/stop/start/stop, abusing it without issue, then sweep the floor of my shop for another straight 30-40 minutes.

Is it functioning like this when in Auto mode (with a tool) or Manual mode? What tool are you using? I assume you unplugged it and plugged it back in to see if it was in some sort of state that only removing power would clear?

The good news is that Festool will make it right, especially while under warranty. I had a missing part on my TS55 and they quickly took care of me, no questions asked. I would call them as they may have a process of figuring out what the issue might be.