Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscillating Mulit-Tool

Oscillating Mulit-Tool

I am currently looking at getting one of those oscillating multi-tools. I've never felt the need before, but am about to install some engineered wood flooring and would like something to undercut the base boards. I see that Porter-Cable, Bosch, Dremel, Fein and more have them. Are there opinions on which is best or are they all about the same?

Thanks,
    Tom

I have a Porter Cable unit, and it works well, though I do not use it very often. I had gotten it from Woodcraft with some kind of discount or I probably would not have gotten, it, but I have found a couple of times to need it so far. It seems reliable.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

fein seems to be the one top but it does come with big price tag. others will work well also. i would think that any of the other would work for most unless you'll be making a living with it.

If you don't need to do a lot of work with it, get the Harbor Freight unit. I bought one and it works fine. I only use it a few times a year.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My son has the Rockwell version and likes it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm glad I bought the Fein- there are times when I really have to push it and I doubt the others would be up to the task.

But for light duty work I'm sure they are all capable.

I agree with Mike. The Harbor Freight unit this time of year is on sale a lot, throw a 20% coupon on top of it and it is a great price. Make sure you look at the pro version.

Any of the oscillating tools will work fine. Including HF. A good SHARP hand saw will cut jambs as fast or faster than any oscillating tool. HF also sells a jamb cutting saw that will far out perform either for that task. I own a Fein and a Bosch cordless. The Bosch is my go to in my remodeling business. Bosch blades were rated #1 by one of the WW mags.

AZCRAIG

I bought a Fein last year, but can't compare it to other models other than that the Eastern model I saw was a bulky and crude looking item in comparison. It's been rock solid reliable and more to the point it's been amazing how often it's got me out an awkward situation while ducting, heating and plumbing the workshop. Especially the plunge cutting chisel format metal and wood blade. More to the point how many jobs my friends have found for it too once they figured out what it could do.

Some significant considerations are probably (a) battery or mains model, (b) ability to use a good quality after market blade like these: http://imperialblades.com/ The OEM blades (from Fein anyway) are very expensive; the related (c) metal cutting as well as wood, and (d) how frequently is it likely to get used?

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-24-2011 at 5:52 PM.

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. I don't know how much I'll end up using this once I have it, but the only thing I know for sure is that I need the flush cutting ability for the base boards. I don't normally go cheap on tools, but think I may give the HF tool a go since I don't anticipate giving it a lot of use.

Tom

The HF tool works fine and is cheap. As little as $19 with a coupon from ads found everywhere. There are two other factors which you should consider when buying one of these tools. The costs of the blades. Variable speed. The HF tool used to come with a bunch of blades and accessories. Their blades are typically very inexpensive. Years ago I considered buying the Fein multitool (when it was the only one) and then quickly decided against it when I discovered that an ordinary replacement blade could cost as much as $69. I don't know what the current price is, but it's a serious consideration. The other important consideration is variable speed. The basic HF model oscillates at a very high speed, probably the same as other makes. This can cause the wood to burn. Their pro model, about twice as expensive, has a slow start and you can slow the speed. This is good if you don't care for the smell of burnt wood.

I have the Bosch. It's a fine all rounder, mine's the cordless one. The 12V Li batteries are magnifico. Got it on Black Friday last year, it's earned its keep in between, along with the drill driver that came in the set. I have a strong suspicion Santa might bring me another couple Bosch 12V Li tools this year.

I have the Rockwell. If I were to buy today I'd probably think about the new lower priced Fein or the Bosch with a cord neither of which were available then. Nothing wrong with the Rockwell but the other two are just more established.

I use my HF one all the time. Bought our son one for Xmas this year.
    Accessories are cheap and good quality. It's one of their gem tools.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

H.P. I'm sure not as good quality, but Ive eaten two deck nails with and still hungry. Ive used it for repairing rotted : siding, door trim,base trim for flooring and very hard to reach decking boards all repair. Still humming along. If kept my mind on it Id us it more. May want to hold out for the variable speed. At the price you could get four and still end up ahead, for home use any way. The scraper blade works really well for glued carpet and linoleum on cement floor to Ive also used it somewhat like a chisel.