Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscillating Mulit-Tool

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. I don't know how much I'll end up using this once I have it, but the only thing I know for sure is that I need the flush cutting ability for the base boards. I don't normally go cheap on tools, but think I may give the HF tool a go since I don't anticipate giving it a lot of use.
    You'll probably use it a lot more than you ever dreamed possible.
    I have two or three of the HF ones. We have a rental 50 plus miles away & there's always something that needs cut co I keep one in the van and one in the car and 1 in the shop.
    A Dremel << ---avoid the Dremel.
    A Menards cordless (Promax or Peformax or something like that) - I love the cordless. It's my usual "go to". I picked it up for about $20.00 all told after rebates & sale price.

Ive also used it somewhat like a chisel.
    Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!
    I discovered the hidden worth of these tools is that they can be used like a "power chisel".

Tom, from my experience and from what others have said, Fein makes the best one...hands down. That said, it is expensive, and the attachments are, too. If you don't plan to use this for more than one job, others might be just fine for your needs...
    I drink, therefore I am.

After reading reviews of the Bosch cordless OMT having short battery life, I bought a Bosch corded OMT (MX25) about 6 months ago. I've found that it performs similar to the Fein tool, if the same blades are used. The Bosch comes with a blade adaptor device that allows it to use Fein blades, Bosch blades and No-Name blades. Both the Bosch MX25 and the Fein have motors around 2.5 amps and are variable speed. The Bosch is about $135 and the Fein about $195, both including a few basic blades and the sanding pad. In the medium to long run the cost of the blades will be much higher than the cost of the tool. If I were to buy another OMT, I would buy the Bosch MX25 again. I don't consider it a downgrade from the Fein.

Blades are a separate story. I'm still trying out Fein, Bosch and No-Name blades to determine the most cost effective option. My initial impressions are that the Fein and Bosch are similar in performance and similarly priced (high). The No-Name blades perform just about as well for a short period of time, don't last as long, but cost less. For infrequent use the No-Name blades should be fine. I've still not decided if they are more cost effective than the Branded blades for more intensive use. My current thinking is they are not, but more cutting time is needed to reach a more definitive conclusion. Stay tuned.

Bob

Occasionally, Amazon will have factory-reman Fein 250Qs for $199, which is the deal I would look for. I have the 250Q (bought the kit new from the local Rockler, though they honored a 20% coupon), and I find myself constantly reaching for it. For remodel work on old houses, it is invaluable.

You can buy the real Fein blades pretty cheap through Amazon, and with the "Prime" shipping I usually have them the next day. As long as you don't hit a nail, the blades will last quite a long time. However, if you plunge into a nail, the blade is toast.

A little late on this but I have the Milwaukee cordless and love it. I also have the Milwaukee impact driver and drill so the battery is not a big deal, they do not last all that long on charge but it is nice not having to use the cord.
    I use mine most of the time for sanding, it does a great job getting into corners and hard to get places. I have used it to cut bolts, nails, plastic pipe, steel pipe and wood, does a great job on it all.

Here is a post I made awhile back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=multi+tools

The HF blades are basically junk as compared to the ones from Northern Tool which are priced about the same. I have two HF's and a Fein.

I have the Rockwell corded and the Bosch cordless. Both grate tools. As for the battery life, it is not a problem. It is a 10.8 volt in a small package. What can you expect.

Thanks again all for the information. I may also give the bi-metal blades a shot to see how they hold up. And you're probably right that I will find other uses once I have it. The scraper function may come in handy if the carpet I'm pulling up was glued down. I can also see the detail sander being useful.

I picked up the Craftsman about a year ago and love it. The Menard's MasterForce looks the same but doesn't have the LED light which I like, but is has a 3yr warranty. The only problem I have had is the bolt wearing out and a cheap hex wrench. I'm using my good 5mm on it now only, my local Sear's store made good on it though and had 2 new ones shipped to me free. As for cordless I picked up the Milwaukee M12 one. I picked it up from the Home Depot as part of the Hammer Drill and Impact set for $199 http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053. I would say I'm reaching for it to use on ladders and such. I solved the battery issue with picking up the M12 XC battery was only $39 http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 and besides it stands up then. I'll see how it survives with the drywall dust.

I have the harbor freight variable speed and its okay for occasional work. I just bought the Porter Cable and really like it alot, blade changes are a breeze. The fein is a top notch tool if the budget allows, its a heavy duty tool. There is about 8 competitors to the Fein and all are quite a bit cheaper than the entry level Fein kit. I think its important to be able to buy the blades locally, I have not seen the Fein blades at the stores locally to where I live. I know Bosch had an adapter available to use their blades with other brand of tools. Some brands share the same style of hole patterns for the blade mount.

Blog Entries
    I'm considering one as well after using a Dremel multi-tool, I liked what the Dremel did, but didn't care for how uncomfortably hot it got on a small cutting job. If I get one it will be a Bosch corded model.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2011 at 8:13 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute