Thread: New Toys, Rare RAS, OSS and AC (w/pics)

New Toys, Rare RAS, OSS and AC (w/pics)

Evening all,

Well, not having time to work on the kitchen has not prevented me from picking up a few new tools .

I went to an auction a month or so ago and picked up real cheap this really cool Delta 10" Radial Arm Saw that is a least 50 years old, but looks brand new. It was made in Canada and even has a "Beaver" label on it. There is
    some sort of funky dado blade on it, but it runs well, just needs a table. Note that this is turret arm 10" RAS, I have never seen one of these before, only the 12"-18" were turret arms as far as I used to know (turret arm=pivots at end of arm). I don't really want or need a RAS, but this one is such a cool little time capsule, I might just have to keep it.

I have always wanted a Oscillating Spindle Sander, but never really needed one. If and when I ever finish my folks kitchen, my plan is to make myself a nice dining room set and I thought this might come in use on the re-sawn chair backs. Or, at least that is how I am justifying to myself anyways . USA made, 1/2 hp baldor motor, comes with dual link belts driving the spindle. It is larger than the photos in the catalogue made it look. I have an aluminium handled #7 (ever seen one of those before?) that I also picked up at auction on the table top for scale.

Since I have been doing so much sanding, in the interest in trying to breath a little less dust, I also picked up a little Delta AP100 air cleaner. For the few days I have been using it, I really like it.

So many tools, so little time...

David.

Major scores there David! Congrats. I hear those Claytons are real, real smo-o-o-o-o-th! Report back!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

David,
    Nice score on the RAS. I do not have one, but have used one from time to time. I am far from expert on the RAS and the appropriate blade, but if memory serves, there is a blade configuration specially made for a RAS which reduces an unintended feed rate. One with a negative hook angle?
    The RAS can be an arm cutter, so safety first on this guy. About 30 years ago, in the winter in an unheated shop, a friend of mine was using his smallish RAS wearing a blousey-sleeved leather jacket, and as he turned, the blade caught the sleeve and pulled his arm into the saw. Well, his arm bone actually stopped the saw blade, but the damage was quite extensive.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

David,

Good scores on all of the tools, especially the RAS! That thing will look great in your shop!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

David,

Very nice! I've lusted a Clayton for years. It looks wonderful. The RAS also looks to be a winner. You'll need to give us a full report including the Delta light/filter.

Congrats - John

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    David,
    Nice score on the RAS. I do not have one, but have used one from time to time. I am far from expert on the RAS and the appropriate blade, but if memory serves, there is a blade configuration specially made for a RAS which reduces an unintended feed rate. One with a negative hook angle?
    The RAS can be an arm cutter, so safety first on this guy. About 30 years ago, in the winter in an unheated shop, a friend of mine was using his smallish RAS wearing a blousey-sleeved leather jacket, and as he turned, the blade caught the sleeve and pulled his arm into the saw. Well, his arm bone actually stopped the saw blade, but the damage was quite extensive.
    Anyone that doesn't know any better then to place their own arm in the path of a blade spinning at 3450 rpm, should not be using any type of machine!

David...
    Nice score - The RAS is still one of my most used machines....
    Looking at the pic you posted, I believe that funky dado blade you described is installed backwards.... Please double check before you fire that puupy up....