Thread: Yet another miter saw stand

Yet another miter saw stand

So after selling the lathe ( had it 8 years, wasn't all that interested in turning ) I decided to fill that open spot by building a stand for the miter saw.

It had to be mobile, have fold down wings and I wanted a way to extend the wings out further for long pieces. I did some internet research and incorporated the adjustable fence I saw someone do to account for adding a zero clearance insert and the swing out arm to support the wing.

For the extended wing support, I made "slides" using 1/16" wall steel square tubing - 1-1/4" for the outer, 1" for the inner. The nylon pan head screws take up the slop between the tubes & makes it slide nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! How does it work in action?

I use my miter saw a lot for cutting down rough stock. Seems your design would be more suited for trim and finish work.

Very nice!! Excellent work. It should do the job nicely.

Nice job - that looks very capable. Did you set your fence back or aligned with the saw's fence?

That green color kind of takes me back to the 50s.

Looks very nice. I like the colour too

Your extending slides are interesting, would you say that the idea would be smooth and sturdy enough for a small sliding carriage for the TS?

Welcome to the Creek....

That is a very professional looking stand and I love the way you did the slides, great idea.

Very nice design utilizing thin wall tubing and nylon screws for the telescoping stops. Something to remember. Overall, the stand looks very stout and well made.

Good photography too -- clear pictures.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-25-2011 at 6:11 PM.

Very nicely done and great attention to detail. It looks extremely functional and quick to be ready to use or store. Did you make any prints of it? This looks like it's magazine worthy to me. Again you did a great job and were very creative. You obviously put a lot of thought into it. I am always amazed at the wonderful cross section of knowledge and ability here on the creek.

Wow !!!

Somebody put some thought into this.

If it were me, I would CLAIM that I intentionally had the last telescoping bits sit an inch or two ABOVE the top to my table saw, but ... really .... a) they'd probably bump INTO my top, or ... b) if they DID clear it ... it would have been by dumb luck

Nicely done !!

Very,very nice. And some good ideas I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing!

Nice.

Any plans for sticking a tape rule on the telescoping tube. That way you could easily set it to a specific length.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Lee View Post
    Nice job - that looks very capable. Did you set your fence back or aligned with the saw's fence?

That green color kind of takes me back to the 50s.
    It's aligned to the saw fence. I can add a 3/4" fence to the saw fence & bring the wing fence forward to match.

I like the color too. Looks like it belongs in a machine shop. My wife saw the green paint at HD - returned for wrong color or whatever - $7 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by jeth chiapas View Post
    Looks very nice. I like the colour too

Your extending slides are interesting, would you say that the idea would be smooth and sturdy enough for a small sliding carriage for the TS?
    I would say it isn't smooth enough for that. A drawer slide by comparison is much smoother. It's good enough to get into position easily & lock down.