Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a tool cabinet

Planning a tool cabinet

Well,
    I have decided that I want to build a really nice tool cabinet. At first I wanted to put every hand tool I use in one, but I think that would require a 4ft x 4ft cabinet and I am not about to do that. Instead, I am planning to build a 2ft x 4ft wall hanging cabinet with one 2x4 door. I am only going to fill it with the tools that i most want to protect from rust. I starting planning by figuring out what was going in, then I started playing with arrangements. See attached images for my current layout. The bench planes will be in the base (attached to the wall) and the other tools will be in the door. I am thinking the base will be 10in deep and the door will be 5in deep (inside dimensions). This layout will probably change after I build the shell and try to fit everything in. I have a couple of questions that some here will know.

1 - How big are hollow and round wooden molding planes? I am going to have a shelf above my bench planes and I want to make sure it will accommodate a few molding planes. I don't have any now, but I figure it is just a matter of time...

2 - Why are brass hinges so stinking expensive??? I want to use butt hinges - not piano hinges. At LV, Rockler, Woodcraft, the brass hinges that are 3in tall are $25-30. Steel are $5. Door hinges at HD are $3. What is the deal? I think I need to use 4 or 5 butt hinges. I don't want to skimp but I am also not looking to spend a ton of money.

I am planning to build the cabinet out of cherry with walnut panels on the front door. I'm still trying to decide what to do on the back. That will probably be determined by the lumber that I have on hand. This will not be Studley fancy, but I want to build something that I will enjoying seeing on the wall. I figure it will take several months, but I plan to take pictures alone the way. Any input is welcome. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Check out the Lie Nielsen 2012 calendar. The front cover has a really cool tool cabinet that seems to be in the dimensions you intend to use. Might provide a little inspiration or give you an idea or two.

Also, check the bay and search for stanley hinges. I'm planning a tool chest / cabinet or two and I wanted to use old sweetheart era hinges for the old tools. I got 3 for, I think it was, $6 each and they had the sweetheart logo which i thought was cool.
    good luck with the project.
    pat
    Last edited by Pat Zabrocki; 12-25-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: wording

Consider building two. A right and a left. Not a lot more work and you get your 4'x4' space.

Were the brass hinges solid brass? As a comparison scrap steel goes for about $.07 a pound and brass around $1.40 depending on the yard. Copper is spendy stuff.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

That floor looks suspiciously like the one reported "missing" by two little girls in Mississippi.
    I'm just sayin' it looks a lot like the description provided to the papers...

I'm reusing cast off dressers to store my hand tools. I prefer drawers to doors.
    No hinges required. FYI- Rockler is having an overstock clearance, I wonder if there are hinges in the mix?
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 12-26-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Ha! Yeah, the floormats are from sams. Colorful and cheap. I hope to get wood floors one day...
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

You mention wanting to store more tools - what about an additional hinged panel inside the cabinet to store small tools on? A feature that you see in a lot of cabinet designs - if surface space is limited, but not so much volume, it seems like a handy way to add a little more storage.

If I was building a tool cabinet (one of these days) I'd think about adding a couple small drawers to bottom, either interior or exterior - been browsing through Tolpin's book, and seen it in a couple of examples, and it just seems handy.

Joshua, I thought about adding drawers. I might, but I think long term I plan to build 2 of these. I would put drawers in the second one, based on what is going in it. I'm not going to build 2 at once since with hand tools, 2 is twice the work of 1. I'm going to take it one at a time and see how I like it.

I have thought seriously about adding a flap. I just might do that...

Ok, I finally figured out the hinge price stuff. The expensive brass hinges are "EXTRUDED" (sold by Lee Valley) and the cheaper ones are "FORMED" (Stanley/National). What does this mean? Well, luckily I figured out that my last 2 projects used both kinds (by accident) and I was able to tell them apart.

The "FORMED" hinges are a bit thinner material. The "Formed" hinges were obviously made from flat stock that was rolled around the hinge pin. Nice finish. On their own they look fine.

The "Extruded" hinges were just that. The part of the hinge that goes around the pin is continuous with the flat part that screws to the wood. No forming required. The whole thing is a bit thicker and the surface seems a bit flatter. That makes sense to me since it is just cut to length and not bent. The finish (overall look) is better. The hinge part looks much better on the Extruded hinge, but I had never noticed that before now.

I would assume that the "Extruded" hinges can carry more weight. That would not be important for a small box, but I am thinking it is critical for all the weight I am about to put on this 2x4 door. So, $90 worth of hinges it is. Ouch. Sorry, no pics. Can't get good shots of these small shiny objects.

Looks like a fun project in the works. Let me be the first to say "Nice set of tools you have there!"

Thanks, I've been working on getting fewer, but higher quality tools and using the snot out of them. It's going pretty well, I think.

If you have any panel saws, I've seen tool cabinets that offer a slot behind the back panel. The saws are simply tucked into the slot with handles protruding from the sides. It requires little extra work, doesn't take up much space and is tidy.

Dang Bob, you got a nice set of tools there. Nice mix of some gorgeous vintage and new. Are those vintage Stanleys all the same "type"?

I'm forced to ask - are you actually building a tool chest or is this just a stealth gloat

While everyone's accusing you of gloating, let me add that my "shop" is a room in my house, and I haven't had rust issues in a long while now. So if building a tool cabinet gets to be too much of a hassle for anyone, they can feel free to send me any nice tools they're afraid of rusting, and I'll keep a good eye on them. For instance, if someone wanted me to store a nice rabbet plane for them, I'd graciously be willing to keep an eye on it for them, freeing them from the need to worry about it rusting away. Heck, I'm such a nice guy I wouldn't even charge you for the hassle.

Chris,
    Yes, they are all Type 11's that I rescued from various places. I'm a bit crazy. Don't fall for the Type 11 hype. They are pretty, but these all took some serious tuning to get right and functionally they are no better than my type 16's. Like I said, I rescued them.

Yes, I am planning. I think its really going to be as much for show as practical purposes. Thanks for the compliments.