Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a bowl gouge for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Because the tts100 has those 2 little round metal thingy's the distance from the wheel is set when they both rest on the wheel. So as the wheel gets smaller, they still have to both rest on the wheel to be correct which moves it closer to the wheel. The Youtube video explains it far better than I do. Definitely check it out. It's 99% fail proof.

I also have to add, my Jet wet sharpener's motor died after 4 years of use. they sent me a whole new sharpener to replace the bad one. Excellent service for sure.

Here's a link to a cheap wet sharpener. I have no idea of the quality or compatibility of it but it's a great price to get your feet wet (Or your tools)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPIN...item4160acdfc2

Here's a better deal on a sharpener http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Gr...arpener/T10097 for $89.95 I am happy with mine, had it for just over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    Same. I own Thompsons but I still use my Sorby 3/8" (actually 1/2" as Scott pointed out) far more than anything.
    So after posting this yesterday, I decided to pull out my Thompson 1/2"V for the first time in awhile and use it to finish turn a larger walnut bowl. I enjoyed the heck out of using it and got a nice clean surface with it. Go figure.

thompson 1/2 gouge with a oneway large aluminum handle
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I agree with Bill. Glaser is the way to go. Extremely comfortable and hold an edge like no other. Spend the money and own the best..

5. Derek, you know what I use and what I like. I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one using P&N tools. That's okay... more for me when I need another one. I like turning my own handles. If/when you get ready to handle a turning tool just let me know - I can help you out with it.

For gouges I have P&N (5), Crown (1), Thompson U-flute (1) and have had a Benjamin's Best. I like them all, but end up using the P&Ns more than the others. I wouldn't use another Benjamin's Best if they were giving them away free. In fact, I gave away the one I had. It wouldn't hold an edge worth a flip. Maybe I just had a bad piece of metal... I dunno.

If you *want* to use a wet sharpener then that is fine, but you certainly don't *need* one.

You're welcome to come over and use my Thompson and Crown for a while and see how you like them. They are both wide flutes and have larger handles than what I put on my P&Ns, so that will give you a differerent feel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren View Post
    I wouldn't use another Benjamin's Best if they were giving them away free. In fact, I gave away the one I had. It wouldn't hold an edge worth a flip. Maybe I just had a bad piece of metal... I dunno.
    That was exactly my experience as well.

For me, P&N gouges are good tools( 6mm, 10mm, 12mm & 22mm). They last well with turning the harder timber prevelant in Australia. I also have a few Kiwi made Woodcut (10mm, 13mm & 16mm). I recently got a couple Thompson U flutes, American size 1/2 and 5/8, Australian/English size 3/8 and 1/2. I have thrown them at some Red Gum burl and Yellow Box Burl. They handled the Red Gum Burl, but the Yellow Box Burl destroys edges, but in Black Walnut they cut like butter and last as long as the P&N's. I also have a Crown, a few Sorby and an Ellsworth. I have the Tormek (T-7)for it's ease of use and repeatability.

Derek,

When you decide to make a tool handle this series of Youtube clips helped me greatly! In fact, I was making another for my latest Thompson bowl gouge today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Yh5AKDJk8

I started with set of Benjamin's Best I bought on Amazon, and I've been slowly adding various more expensive tools as the money is available

Derek, just to add to the information overload, I agree with most here that Benjamin's Best and Thompson gouges are a great value. I'll be different and add one more(actually someone else mentioned the gouges sold by Trent Bosch) and that would be Hamlet. M2 at it's finest, at reasonable price including a nice ash handle.

I'm interested that no one has mentioned Packard tools. Their sidegrind bowl gouges have a flute profile that I prefer over others I have tried -- less prone to clogging.