Thread: Found some really great dowel storage containers.

Found some really great dowel storage containers.

I have been looking for some good containers for my dowels. I had them in glass jars but I don't think I need to tell you how that went when I knocked them off the bench.

My daughter gave us 2 of the larger ones for the house to hold cereal. When I saw them I thought, dowels right off the bat.

I ordered 3 of them, 2 of the 3 qt and one 4.5 qt., they work out great. They seal good with a rubberized silicone seal, there is a little door on top that is just right to dump out a few as needed, the rest stay sealed in the larger container.
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...&N=&Ntt=cereal

These are 1", 1 1/2" and 2" dowels the container holds about 700 dowels or more, there is 700 of the 1 1/2" dowels in the middle container.

PC291813.jpg

Good tip there Bill, should also work well for biscuit storage; the baggies that some are packed in are not very effective for a product that should be stored in an nearly air tight environment.

- Beachside Hank

Stay out of my kitchen, Bill.

"Beaver chow, now available in family size!"

If there is a Dollar Store in your area go stop in. Lots for tupperware type items for a dollar for storage. I like the little baskets to put screws, etc in while fixing machines. Tons of things if you use your imagination.

ziplocks

I have found that the ziplock's with the red tab zipper are fantastic for dowels. Quick to open/close, no moisture issues and I can drop them all day long. Plus, my paws can fit into the bag and pull out a single dowel.

If you like mixed nuts, Sam's Club sells a big jar of them. The jar is fairly square with a large mouth lid. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=164004

Wal-mart has a jar about the same size of regular peanuts.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Planters-D....5-oz/10291452

I've found them quite handy. One will hold a large bag of biscuits from Rockler with a little room to spare.

Good idea. My kids like Animal Crackers (who doesn't?) and the bulk stores sell them in a really big plastic jar with a very wide mouth. They make nice storage. I have one that I stuff random pieces of partially used sandpaper into. It's very handy when you just need a little bit.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

For storing long dowels (36" to 48") I use schedule 10 PVC pipe with caps on both ends. I built a plywood pipe hanger and fastened it to the ceiling of my shop as I don't use them that often.
    I store short dowels and nails in the blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans, they seal up nice and tight and stack easily on a shelf.

Blog Entries
    Throw in an extra silica gel pack to soak up any residual moisture.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Throw in an extra silica gel pack to soak up any residual moisture.

Great idea too, I also throw those in with my shellac flakes to eat any moisture, which is the bane of their shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    For storing long dowels (36" to 48") I use schedule 10 PVC pipe with caps on both ends. I built a plywood pipe hanger and fastened it to the ceiling of my shop as I don't use them that often.
    I store short dowels and nails in the blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans, they seal up nice and tight and stack easily on a shelf.
    The only problem with the coffee cans is I cannot see how much I have on hand just by looking at them. When I notice I am getting low, I then make the order so I will have them when I need them. I was using Zip-Lock bags and kept them in a drawer, I was always running because I would not reorder when I should have.

I lucked out for my longer dowels, I ordered something from Woodcraft and it came in a clear plastic tube with nice end caps on them and I have been using it, works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    If there is a Dollar Store in your area go stop in. Lots for tupperware type items for a dollar for storage. I like the little baskets to put screws, etc in while fixing machines. Tons of things if you use your imagination.
    Great idea, I recently picked up a brownie pan and a bread pan and a set of measuring spoons for $1 each. I had picked up a glass measuring cup at antique store for a couple of bucks. The spoons and cup are great for accurately measuring your dye mixtures and I used the breadpan to hold my dye mixture while staining.