Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip Top Tool Stand

Flip Top Tool Stand

Hi Everyone,

This is a project that I've been meaning to build for quite some time now. Since my shop is in a 1 1/2 car garage, conserving floor space is a hot topic with me. I'm always looking for ways to maximize my space and a flip top tool stand seemed like the idea way to go.

A flip top tool stand is not a new idea. Over the past several years a number of woodworking magazines have featured their own version. My problem lay in the fact that I own a 13" Rigid Planer and most of the designs were built to accommodate a much smaller Delta or Jet version.

I guess you can call me the consummate engineer. I can never be satisfied with an existing design. Many of the flip top tool stands plans I examined had flaws.

Many of them were too tall. The higher off the ground you place the tool, the greater the moment. Therefore, the greater the chance that the tool will become top heavy and tip over. Call me anal, but I also like to maintain the same height as my table saw for all my shops work surfaces.

Some featured storage drawers where there should have been provisions for ballast.

One design featured a locking tab to secure the tilt top that was only secured with a wood screw. How long would that hold in place before it stripped itself out?

Another design used a 2" long section of 1/4" or 3/8" diameter rod as the pivoting shaft. The Rigid Planer weighs in at 80 lbs. Couple that with the weigh of the belt/disc sander attached to the other side of the tilt top, the weight of the tilt top itself, and any workpiece you may be feeding into the planer, you be surprised at how fast that pin would deform.

The pivoting shaft of all of the designs rested against the end grain of plywood. I just thought that was sloppy.

With all this in mind, I decided to design my own stand. Since we just switched to 3d Solid Modeling at work, I decided to draw the entire assembly in Solid Edge V16. After I was finished, I could then have a coworker examine the 3D model using a structural analysis program (all on my own time of course). :>)

The sides of my flip top tool stand were fabricated from (2) plys of 3/4" plywood, while the top and bottom of the ballast box were comprised of single plys of 3/4" plywood. When I went to purchase the plywood, Home Depot didn't have any Baltic Birch left. So I ended up purchasing Oak plywood.

To conceal the ends of the plywood, I used 1/2" thick walnut. The gusset panel on the front and back was oak plywood trimmed in 3/4" thick mahogany. The gusset panels conceal a 6" high cavity that I filled with (2) 50 lb bags of play sand.

The torsion box that makes up the tilt top was made from some left over 3/4" Baltic Birch trimmed in 1 1/2" x 2" mahogany. Now don't get all crazy on me! The mahogany was reclaimed from Japanese shipping crates. It wasn't really furniture grade.

Speaking about the tilting top, the shaft is fabricated from a 36" length 1/2" galvanized steel rod. It was inserted into the tip top and trimmed to size near the end of assembly.

To address my concern about the steel rod bearing against the end grain of the plywood, I fabricated bearings from (4) 1" diameter x 3/4" thick phenolic discs. I drilled a 9/16" hole through these on the lathe and fit them on the shaft. The bearings were received by a "U" shaped cutout that I routed across the top/middle of each panel.To stop the bearings from working loose, and to hide the shaft/bearings, I fabricated a walnut "cap" for each side.

To lock the tilt top in place, I used a feature I borrowed from Woodsmith's Tilt top tool stand. Each corner of the tilt top received a 2" x 2" cut out. In that resided a 5/16" diameter x 5" long eye bolt. This eye bolt was held in place by a 1/4"-20 carriage bolt. When you needed to lock the top in place, you pivoted the eye bolt assembly 90 degrees into a routed slot. It was then secured by washer and star knob.

I must admit, when it comes to mobile bases I usually take the easy way out. Rather than design anything fancy, I used an extra Delta Universal Mobile Base that I had laying around the shop. These inexpensive bases work quite well and allow me to move my tools around with ease. Besides, the price was right. The 1-1/2" square wooden rails were fabricated from hickory (my freshly sharpened WWII saw blade is still whining about that!).

It took a bit of planning to accurately drill the holes for mounting the Belt/Disc sander and planer. The planer installed easy, but needed 5/16" x 5" long hex bolts. The Belt/Disc sander is an old Grizzly whose casting featured blind holes so un-evenly spaced, that I needed to make an adapter plate in order to facilitate it's installation!

Below you can see pictures of the tilt top stand with the tools attached. Both tools miss the gussets by plenty of space and work beautifully with the stand. The sander is at the perfect height for me to work on without stooping, or leaning forward. The planer is set so that I can use my table saw as an outfeed table.

With this project out of the way, I clear up some floor space that will allow me to change the layout of my shop for the better (I hope).

Maybe now I can finally work on completing my DC system upgrade and install that darn cyclone!

Thanks for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (61.7 KB, 1794 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (70.6 KB, 1569 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (14.9 KB, 1581 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (40.8 KB, 1515 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (47.7 KB, 1391 views)
    Dominic Greco

The rest of the pics

Here are the rest of the pictures of the flip top tool stand

Thanks for viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (61.4 KB, 1569 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (70.4 KB, 1539 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (80.3 KB, 1418 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (82.0 KB, 1353 views)
    Dominic Greco

Yo Dom, It looks good.
    Take care,
    John

Dom, that is one heck of a design and great execution. If you don't mind, I'd like to use that in my shop (the design, that is, unless the unit is for sale!!)

One thought, perhaps, you might want to add some friction to the eye bolts, like teflon washers or something. It seems that once released for flipping, these bolts could flop around and damage the trim on the top of the side panels, not to mention being a nuisance.

What did you use for balast and did you calculate the amount needed or just put some bricks in there?
    Ray
    Semper Fi

That really looks like a great tool stand! It is functional and looks really great! It sounds like you took your time, built this thing once and only once. Great job!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thumbs up

Dominic.....Great work! I, when designing something structural, live by the code, you can never build something too strong. I like the way you designed and built the bearings for the rotating shelf. I, also, like the design used to fasten the top in the locked position. My current house has a carport designed and built by to retired "gentlemen". I have retrussed it in place and on another occasion replaced the header in place. Both instances were because the designs were too weak. Your design should last a lifetime and function well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very, very impressive! Great job! You know I built a wood-rack outside in the back yard of our old house. It ended up being 16' long, 8' tall and 24" deep because I sort of think like you do I suppose. Take an existing idea and improve upon it if you can.

My neighbor at the time, who used to be an engineer, took one look at that wood-rack and said, "Now that is Substantial!".

And that's the word that comes to mind when I see your flip-top stand. Substantial!

Once again, Great job!

P.S. - If you ever decide to market your plans for that stand, I'd be interested in them.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Dom that is one wonderfully designed and executed machinery base. Could you show a close up of the shaft covers? Also a set of plans with dim's would be nice too

Very cool Dom!! I think you have re-engineeered the flip top. I had one of Craftsman's old tables once....it was a mess to deal with and I never mounted tools on it (I got it secondhand from a buddy for free).

I might have to build one of those when I get a new planer. Great idea!!

What about wood chips?

I have considered making one of these tools. My concern is wood chips tumbling around in the tools when rotated. I am interested in your experience with actual use.

Great job! Nice piece of engineering and execution!

Wow! Very nice.
    Did you try rotating without the 100 lb of sand?
    With a DC adaptor attached to my Delta 13", the outfeed tray cannot be flipped up. So I'm wondering if that would be a problem?

I take the DC adapter off

Quote Originally Posted by George Matthews
    Wow! Very nice.
    Did you try rotating without the 100 lb of sand?
    With a DC adaptor attached to my Delta 13", the outfeed tray cannot be flipped up. So I'm wondering if that would be a problem?
    George,
    Thanks for the compliments!

BTW, I have the same problem. I take the DC adapter off then it's not in use. On the Rigid, it fastens back on in seconds.
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bersch
    One thought, perhaps, you might want to add some friction to the eye bolts, like teflon washers or something. It seems that once released for flipping, these bolts could flop around and damage the trim on the top of the side panels, not to mention being a nuisance.

What did you use for balast and did you calculate the amount needed or just put some bricks in there?
    Ray
    Thanks for the compliments!

About the star knobs, they are plastic and from what I've seen, don't seem to hard enough to damage the sides (not yet at least).

When they are unlocked and pivoted out of place, the action of tilting the top and gravity take over. They fall right in line and work perfectly.

I actually have thought about some teflon washers there. But I used the last (4) 1/2" dia ones to sit between the tilt top table and the side panels (a feature I forgot to mention in my post above). Maybe the next time I'm at Home Depot I'll pick up some more. Or maybe they're throwing away some more here at work!

As far as the ballast goes, it was an educated guess as well as using the available space. The height limitation I placed on the design dictated how much space would be left over. Luckily it was JUST enough to hold (2) 50 lb bags of sand. I reasoned that this 100 lbs of ballast, plus the overall weight of the structure would be sufficient.
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Dom that is one wonderfully designed and executed machinery base. Could you show a close up of the shaft covers? Also a set of plans with dim's would be nice too
    Thanks for the compliment Jim.

I'll try and take a photo of the shaft covers later.

As far as the plans go, I've submitted this to as an article for a Woodworking magazine. So you might have to wait a bit.
    Dominic Greco

Dom,

Very Nice, my wife would want that in the living room, almost looks to nice for the shop. Great idea! I need to think of something like that myself. How about a flip top table saw extension...

John