Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I tell my wife?

Should I tell my wife?

Ok... before Christmas my Son in law started hanging around in the shop and before long he was hooked ( it was the lathe's fault) We were making gifts and as a joke I hung a sign outside
    " He-Man Womin Haters Club No Gurls allowed ala the Little Rascals...
    all in fun, my wife ,Sister-in-law, Daughter smiled and that was that(or so I thought) Christmas day my wife of 35 years got tired of running "THE BOYS" out or the kitchen.. we were only allowed in to bring the turkey and ham in from the smoker...but it was too much fun snitching bites ect that my wife went to the computer and printed up her own sign
    ahhmmm....
    ( She-Male Man Haters Club no Boys allowed) and posted it in plain view on the fridge

Everyone started laughing and no one will tell her what is wrong....she stares at that sign and says
    "I can not see what is so funny!!"
    I tried to take it down tonight and she put it back up... we have company coming over Wed night....
    Should I tell her?

not what i thought was gonna be the topic when i read the title, but i would say tell her to google search the whole sign phrase and then leave it at that.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Yes, it is a husband's/wife's job to humiliate their spouse in private to prevent same from happening in public. Maybe print a corrected sign (male replaced by woman) and replace it. I on the other hand would leave it since funny is always funny in our house.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes! ! By all means correct this. It is my experience that if you correct your wife you will undoubtedly suffer as she will ,most probably,misinterpret your good intentions as an insult to her intelligence. On the other hand if you do not (with the utmost delicacy and diplomacy) explain the "error" and she suffers some embarrassment or indignity at the hands of her peers, you will suffer mightily! In either case you will suffer. Choose the lesser.
    Good Luck!

I'd go with a combo. Tell her what she-male refers to. And if she doesn't believe you bet her a new tool that a google image search for she-male will not end well.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

As a female, I say explain it and save her the embarassment. If you don't explain it chances are one of your guests will, then she will ask if you "knew this" and if you say that you did the suffering will be terrible for you. On the other hand, it is pretty doggoned funny and I would be tempted to let her figure it out on her own. If she had the guts to put of the sign, she should have to deal with the consequences.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Fact of the matter is that you are toast either way. I am in awe, and fear of my wife's ability to turn the tables and make me out to be the bad guy without even batting an eye. I suspect it is a talent shared by most women.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

You realize if you admit you know what it means that you are in trouble for just that alone, right?

Stand by the fridge pointing at the sign, while laughing and snickering.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Not telling her could be hazardous to your health and well being. Matt also may be right, your knowing what it means may make her look at you in a different light.
    David B

Bingo!
    Greg and Matt hit the nail right on the head...

As far as telling her goes....
    I'm the guy that refers to his ambidextrous wife as being "bi".... so you're asking the wrong person//

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    As a female, I say explain it and save her the embarassment. If you don't explain it chances are one of your guests will, then she will ask if you "knew this" and if you say that you did the suffering will be terrible for you. On the other hand, it is pretty doggoned funny and I would be tempted to let her figure it out on her own. If she had the guts to put of the sign, she should have to deal with the consequences.

As a male with all females in the family I gotta go with Belinda 100% lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    You realize if you admit you know what it means that you are in trouble for just that alone, right?
    Say you watched the "Hangover" one or two and learned about it there. It is your safest bet.

I'm not sure what's wrong with her sign. If it's the word "male" in "She-male", I've seen that used in many places as slang to replace the word "Female".

The only other way to read it is as "She" and then "Male Man hater's club". Then you could take the words "Male Man" to refer to "Mail man". But with the hyphen between "She" and "Male" it's clear she meant to have it read as "She-male", slang for "female".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong with her sign. If it's the word "male" in "She-male", I've seen that used in many places as slang to replace the word "Female".

The only other way to read it is as "She" and then "Male Man hater's club". Then you could take the words "Male Man" to refer to "Mail man". But with the hyphen between "She" and "Male" it's clear she meant to have it read as "She-male", slang for "female".

Mike
    I think the term she-male has been...taken over by another subset of folks.