Thread: wye template program and other software transition calculation programs needed

wye template program and other software transition calculation programs needed

It is a needle in the haystack and I can't find it. I saw it the other day. Argh. I have tried Google and just reading through threads but I can't find the software program that calculates and prints cut template sheets for DIY PVC wyes. It is Hardgrove or something like that. And it has commercial and free variants of the program.

Would some kind soul please provide the link.

Also, I have been local Craig's list dumpster diving for PVC fittings and found a $5 longer radius 6" elbow and noted that it was welded from shorter segments like the welded metal elbows I have seen. I am geometrically challenged and could use some help calculating the angles to cut PVC 6" pipe to make the segments for a 2x radius elbow. N.B. Warning, when someone mentions a tangent I think they mean that someone is talking off topic. I make a real asymptote out of myself cyphering angles.

I am about to get some string, a pencil and a large piece of brown paper to draw it out but surely this is literally reinventing the wheel.

I have already searched sheet metal transition programs, pipe fitter programs and the like on the Internet and the closest I have found is an iPhone app. Does anyone know of a program to calculate the segments of transitions where you input the diameter of the pipe, the start and end points, degree or radius, and it spits out the segment cut angles?

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipe.html

How many segments do you want to use for the elbow?

Here's a quick sketch using a nominal 6" dimension for the pipe.
    6in pipe corner.jpg

Magic is just science we don't understand yet. That is perfect. I have never cut large PVC on a miter saw before. I have been a hacksaw user by default. Maybe this question should go to the machine forum, but my reading suggests that a high tooth count blade is what is recommended. The Freud website has blades for "solid materials" but I think they mean Corian and the like. Thanks again for the drawing. I am printing it off and will start the experiment when I am off for New Years. Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Seidner View Post
    Magic is just science we don't understand yet. That is perfect. I have never cut large PVC on a miter saw before. I have been a hacksaw user by default. Maybe this question should go to the machine forum, but my reading suggests that a high tooth count blade is what is recommended. The Freud website has blades for "solid materials" but I think they mean Corian and the like. Thanks again for the drawing. I am printing it off and will start the experiment when I am off for New Years. Bruce
    I've cut smaller diameter stuff without much issue. However, ymmv with the larger pipe... Those pieces are pretty small; be careful! If you'll send me an actual (measured) diameter for the pipe, I'd be happy to redraw and then email a full sized PDF template.

I will do that tonight when I get home. There is the published size for the pipe and then there is the actual measured size. There are a half dozen ASTM standards for sewer and drain pipe and I forget the one I ended up with. It is some variation on thin walled ASTM 2729, or SDR-35/ASTM 3034 but they fit into the schedule 40 fittings I picked up very nicely. We will see.

What is the drawing program that you are using? I really should learn how to use one of those. Maybe for the year after next New Years resolution.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Seidner View Post
    What is the drawing program that you are using? I really should learn how to use one of those. Maybe for the year after next New Years resolution.

Thanks for the help.
    AutoCAD. Sketch-up(?) would probably be an easier and cheaper choice
    No problem. I'll try to stay tuned, but you might want to send me a PM reminder. It's going to be a crazy week for me.
    Jay