Thread: Sharpening carbide tools

Sharpening carbide tools

I have always had issues with my tool sharpener services not being what they should be. Their prices are up there pretty high and lately the company that has been handling my sharpening has dropped the ball several times. I sent them a new but needing sharpened Freeborn MT carbide raised panel cutter, when it came back the cutter left streaks in the end grain cut. I had to wait a week, send it off again, then only to get it back doing the same thing. They have taken off a lot of carbide in the process and I told them to either buy me a new one or never come back to my shop again. It left cutting fine but beginning to burn a bit on maple and came back to me twice now worthless. I've used Ballew in Springfield and turn around time is too long with them and Freeborn tool too. So I'm on a mission to find a better mousetrap.

I've done a bit of research online to find an affordable tool grinder to purchase and do my own sharpening of carbide tools. I can already do all my HSS stuff just fine but there is not much anymore that is HSS besides lathe chisels, jointer knives and molder knives. I've found this machine http://universalsharpener.com/ and would like some opinions from some of you guys. I'd love to hear from someone who has owned this machine if anybody here does. I know it would take several thousand more than this machine costs to get a real pro setup but that's not in the budget and finding one on the net doesn't seem to be happening right now either. Opinions solicited please.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Opinions? That machine looks like a toy. The machines the company I use employs are all CNC, coolant is flooded on the cutting surface, diamond stones, very precise, a basic set up to do saw blades costs nearly $150 . I've had a look at them up close, very impressive, things still aren't perfect but they are not terrible either. I'd say buy an extra cutter, find a better grinder and live with the lead time. Or go to insert tooling, keep an extra set of knives on hand, and get rid of most of your head aches in one shot. If your volume was huge a point might be reached where it makes sense to bring the carbide grinding in house. For most small commercial shops time spent sharpening tooling is not time well spent.

I'm using a Freud RP2000 in my home shop, never have to have panel raisers sharpened again, changing knives takes 5 minutes tops, sharpest carbide I have ever seen. The braised tooling is pretty crude surface quality compared to the insert grade carbide, so thats another argument for inserts too.

Check out Dynamic Saw's web site (dynamicsaw.com) and look at what kind of machines they use. Also check out Scott Whitting (sp?)

Get some blade cleaner, and clean your cutters often. I find that cleaning works as well as sharpening. And when you buy a cutter, buy the best you can afford. Freud cutters and sawblades are amazingly sharp. The first time I picked up my raised panel cutter, I cut myself with it. Most carbide blades are not that sharp.