Thread: Chas B Wright co Bandsaw......

Chas B Wright co Bandsaw......

Has anyone ever seen one of these and what do you know about them...

I might be able to buy this for around $500.00 might be fun to restore.....IMG_1291.jpgIMG_1294.jpgIMG_1292.jpgIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1290.jpg

Charles E Wright started as a BS guide maker then moved into full saws, rough guess is the saw is a 1920s era. Just guessing from what I can see for reference it may be a 30" saw, but maybe larger (the more I stare the larger I think it is). The top enclosure has obviously been added on. If you have the room and a way to move it it would be a great project, which you may find isn't much of a project since it looks to be in very good shape. Make note is probably has Babbit bearings.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-28-2011 at 3:04 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Information on Charles E Wright can be found at: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=920&tab=0

I've seen one Wright bandsaw in person, and it was a well made machine. This one looks to be in pretty decent shape, but of course an in-person inspection is always a good idea.

Kirk

Is that huge saw being run by that leeetle motor in the second photo? Doesn't seem right. If it was an industrial saw, maybe it originally had a bigger 3-phase motor, and somebody threw at it whatever single-phase he had around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Is that huge saw being run by that leeetle motor in the second photo? Doesn't seem right. If it was an industrial saw, maybe it originally had a bigger 3-phase motor, and somebody threw at it whatever single-phase he had around.
    Without looking closer I couldn't be sure but I would guess it was originally line shaft powered. If I was rebuilding it I would put a minimum or 3hp on it but it would certainly be pretty useful even with 1.5hp.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The bandsaw behind it appears to be a Delta Rockwell 20" so this saw is not that huge. If you hooked up a modern 3hp or a 2hp RI motor you would be golden. One thing about older bandsaws compared to new large saws is there wonderfully large heavy tables. I have a 36" Sydney that I run with a large 2hp century Ri motor and it works fine but would be better with a 5 hp motor. I just don`t have the amps in the shop for a motor that large.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet