Thread: Bedrock 608 Restored

Bedrock 608 Restored

I just finished restoring a Bedrock 608 yesterday and wanted to post some pics. Unfortunately I did not take pictures before the restoration. I bought this plane a few years ago on ebay and finally found sometime to restore. The japanning looked to be about 85% complete but after I soaked the plane in some Evaporust the truth appeared. After the soaking it had about 20% of the japanning remaining so I decided to remove the rest using a eco friendly paint removing gel from HD. To be honest I was really surprised on how well it worked on removing the rest of the jappaning. After I finished cleaning it up I took it to work with me and had one of the guys grind it flat, when he ran an indicator before grinding it he found the sole was flat within 0.008" , not bad for a plane that is at least 80 years old. He went ahead and ground the sole flat within 0.001". I'm figuring with a casting this old it should remain flat for the rest of it's useful life. When I got home I ran a sandflex medium block over the mating bed of the body and both mating surfaces on the frog giving it a nice polish. After this was complete I did a final cleaning and applied 4 coats of Tremclad flat black and polished up the brass pcs. I was not to crazy with the original knob and decided to get a tote and knob set from Bill Rittner, I did this over a month ago in anticipation of the restoration. The set turned out beautiful and was a definite improvement for me in ergonomics compared to the original set. Also in anticipation I ordered a Hock O1 replacement blade and corresponding chip-breaker. Below are the pictures of the results, as you will see in the pictures I placed it next to my LN #8 (Grandfather & Grandson).

IMG_1669[1].jpgIMG_1670[1].jpgIMG_1668[1].jpgIMG_1666[1].jpgIMG_1667[1].jpgIMG_1665[1].jpg

Very nice job, Carlo. It definitely has that Lie-Nielsen look. I picked up a similar 608 from a western Wisconsin antique shop several years ago. I think the price was $75. Definitely a user although I may treat it to a Hock cutter. The original blade is pretty short.

It is always good to see another good old tool or machine carefully restored. Can you restore me? Lots of spare parts needed.

That's amazing. It's rare to see a restoration that nice. I would have no idea how to do that so beautifully. Sweet work!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    It is always good to see another good old tool or machine carefully restored. Can you restore me? Lots of spare parts needed.
    George, I would think you could make you own spare parts...

Carlo,

A real nice restoral. Congrats!!
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Blog Entries
    Good job, looks nice.

Though I prefer the round side of the Bailey style planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It’s hard to tell the difference between the Bedrock and the LN.
    Nicely done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great restoration! Just a question, where does one go to get that kind of grinding work done? Everything I've found near me appears to just be interested in high-volume machine work or production.

Super nice. I guess you can have one with a cambered blade and the other straight. They look great. I have Rittner's handles on all my Stanley's and love them. They are great.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

I have one of Bill's handle sets on my MF 22 - honestly, the plane didn't deserve it, but I'm too cheap to buy another jointer just now. The handles are great.

And a real nice job on the plane!