Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen is a great company, but..... can anyone explain this "rust" problem

Unhappy Lie Nielsen is a great company, but..... can anyone explain this "rust" problem

I Bought the number 8 jointer about 4 months ago but never opened the packaging - kept it a dry cabinet with other planes - till today & was surprised to see the "rust". I called LN (20 minutes before they closed), describing what I called a "snowflake" patterned rust (orange with whitish edges). After consultation on her end she said try a Scotch-brite pad. She said it may have been something in the packaging. Speaking of packaging the jointer was wrapped in some dry brown paper stating: don't unwrap until use. As you can see in the pics (after Scotch-brite use) the metal is pitted on the sole and sides (nothing else on the plane appears affected, but I didn't take anything apart).

I was told that if it was rust to call for a return authorization and they would re-machine it. I have to admit I was a little surprised they didn't just offer to replace it since it is new.

My questions/concerns for neanders: Can anyone identify the "rust"? Could it actually be some other chemically caused problem or inherent in the metal itself? I noticed when I unwrapped the plane it was dry, no protective lubricant at all - just the brown "protective" paper. . I did ask the lady & she said there is usually a small amount of protective coating. If re-machining is the answer, what caused the pitting in the first place should I request a "new" plane just to be safe?

I like LN products a lot & this is the only one that came with a "problem". I'm sure they'll make it right, I just hope I don't have use my Woodcraft jack (nice plane BTW) as a jointer for months.

after scotch-brite sole.jpgafter scotch-brite 1.jpgprior to scotch-brite3.jpgprior to scotch-brite2.jpgprior to scotch-brite.jpg

I thought all their planes came sealed in blue plastic bags as well. That rust is bizzarre. Send it back, and honestly, I would ask them if they'll reimburse you for return shipping. Lee Valley and TFWW both do this. LN is great, but I don't see how that's your fault and I'm surprised they didn't immediately tell you to send it to them. Yes, our expectations of them and their competitors are high, but that is the reputation they have created and that's what we pay for. Perhaps they didn't realize how bad the rust was when you explained it over the phone. Just send them the plane, they'll no doubt take care of you.

Regarding new vs. remachining.... Beats me.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-28-2011 at 10:34 PM.

They should not,and would not have sent the plane if it had ANY rust when they sent it. It looks like the packaging did cause that rust. I'm wondering if they got some defective "protective paper",or defective cardboard boxes that emit a lot of acid. You know,paper is manufactured with acid to digest the wood pulp. It is possible that they got some extra acidic paper or cardboard.

Thats not the way a plane rusts from sitting on a shelf. I'm sure it was the wrapping paper. My planes all came wrapped in the brown paper,but none of mine got rusty like that. I must have purchased about 10 LN planes between those I bought for work,and those I bought at home,and a gift LN. None were rusty,but these planes were bought years ago. Maybe they'd better start greasing them like Wood River does. Messy(nothing worse than Chinese cosmoline!!!!!),but a safeguard.

Strange looking rust pattern...even stranger is waiting 4 months to open the box! Do you think LN would send a plane looking like that to a customer? Must be the paper though I have planes wrapped in that paper and have no problems.
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Just send it back. I'm sure they will replace it. That rust is odd.
    When I was working in retail selling lawn equipment I never ever said over the phone I would replace something. I wanted to see it first.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

All my metal body planes are going this way, in my damp basement.

I'm migrating to wood body planes, and keeping all my blades oiled.
    I've still got rust.

here's what the protective wrapping paper sez:

"UNIWRAP MPI, treated with volatile corrosion in hibitors (VCI), face opposite side to metal, do not unwrap until ready to use....... [made by] Daubert Cromwell". Maybe it is a new paper they are trying out? Yeah I sort of thought they'd take the "Lee Valley approach" & send one ASAP - (next day air). I'll send them the pictures, perhaps this is a new anomaly for LN.

I guess I'd better un-crate the Grizzly band-saw, I've had since spring, before the neader bug got me. Wait did I just hear a tree fall across the road? Living in the woods leads one in many directions.... unexpectedly......

Here's a better pix of the "pitting". better pix of rust.jpg

That rust pattern is definitely from being in contact with something like tightly wrapped paper. It will creep along in angular looking patterns. It doesn't do that from being in air. It turns a more even brown color,as we have all seen.

My metal body planes were all rusting till I learned about Goldenrod Dehumidifiers. Best $20 I ever spent (shop around) and takes minutes to install.

Steve

+ for Goldenrod dehumdifiers

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    My metal body planes were all rusting till I learned about Goldenrod Dehumidifiers. Best $20 I ever spent (shop around) and takes minutes to install.

Steve
    Where this was stored was in a cabinet with other planes, some in boxes , other not. A few didn't even have jojoba oil on them. This is the only one with this problem.

I had to return a LN shoulder plane that arrived rusty. Looked like the package had got damp in transit and the plane was pretty rusty by the time it arrived. Plastic shrink wrapping and a bit of protective grease would have made this a non-issue - was surprised they don't do that.

You didn't say where you bought it from? Direct from L-N or from store?

I have bought a dozen L-N's from local Woodcraft. They came in light colored paper wrap and then sealed in a blue plastic bag. A few had been sitting in the L-N case at WC for over two years and none showed any rust or pitting.

Blog Entries
    You will likely be sending this one back. Just make sure you and they are on the same page.

Many companies want items to have an RMA number on the outside of the package.

jtk

P.S. Under no circumstances, unless totally beyond my control, would I ever wait four months before opening a package from a vendor.
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-29-2011 at 2:19 AM. Reason: add p.s.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)