Thread: Neander training in St. Louis?

Neander training in St. Louis?

To all,

I've spent the past few years accumulating some tools and experience. I'm having decent results, but really lack confidence that what i'm doing is right, or right-enough, or inefficient, etc.
    I figure that even something like a few hours using a well tuned and sharpened plane will give me a frame of reference.

So, I notice that the local woodcraft has a couple of classes for around $150. Does anyone have any experience with these classes or any other suggestions in or around St. Louis?
    Last edited by John Adam; 12-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.

ok, not a peep...is that due to my location, or my post?

I can handle it if my post was 'off-putting', just curious...

Location for me Adam. I'm not familer with your area, also I have never been to a Woodcraft class. The class may speed up your learning curve and be worth it.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

You could try calling the Woodcraft store there and ask what all the class includes. Or better even, go by the store and talk to the folks there. They should be able to tell you lots about the class. Then you may be able to decide if it is worth it.

I don't live in St. Louis, but try to make it up that way at least once a year. I have been to that Woodcraft store couple times and the people working there have always been real helpful and friendly with me. First time I ever went there some younger man took me back in the shop area where he was turning a pen just because I was new to it and had asked a question about a pen kit. Really helpful folks there.

I've gone to a few things at Lee Valley here that have helped quite a bit. One of them was when they had their planes out to demo, it was great comparing the difference (theirs was amazing, even after a weekend with no sharpening). Just experiencing that has given me something to strive for, and I think I've figured out my old hand me down planes to the point where they are great users. I've also been to a couple 3 hour seminars, one on knife sharpening and one of dovetails, both of which really helped to give me a bit of confidence. I have no experience with Woodcraft though, hopefully they are good as well - Lee Valley has employees who are also local woodworkers teach their seminars, I assume the quality must change with the teacher quite a bit.

I think you can do better than instruction offered at Woodcraft, which is geared toward selling their products.

Finewoodworking has a list of schools by State.
    Ron Diefenbacher has a listing at the Craft Alliance education center in St. Louis.

He can at least point you in a direction.

Look up the kilted woodworker blog and then shoot him a message. His blog says that he's in the St. Louis area. He might be able to help you, give you some information on your local woodcraft or help steer you in the right direction.

My local woodcraft offers full day classes for 135 and I took the one on dovetails. I didn't know anything about making them really but it helped me to pick out some useful tools and produce perfectly serviceable dovetails.
    Last edited by Andrew Teich; 12-30-2011 at 12:42 PM.

John,

You could try the Hand Tool School. The classes are online so you can go at your own pace. I haven't taken any classes there but seems to be pretty good.

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I think you can do better than instruction offered at Woodcraft, which is geared toward selling their products.
    That wasn't even remotely close to the experience I've had. Classes vary widely by location so you really can't fairly compare one location to another.

Thanks to all!

I'll go through the items above and post some feedback for others in the area who might be interested...

Thanks,

John