Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Norton sanding disk at my Home Depot......

Bill,

While your sitting at the computer pull up HD's site and find the product and leave a review. State that they aren't worth the time, effort, and money. I review anything I don't have first hand experience/knowledge of, and judging by the reviews I have read there seem to many out there that are all to happy to share a bad experience and warn others. Maybe Freud will tak note as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Like one of the other post said. Is the Diablo sandpaper made by Frued?

Take a look at the new line of Sandpaper by Shopsmith. Sold at Lowe's and some Ace Hardware store. I have not used them myself yet. (Still stocked up right now) but response from other woodworkers has been good. I understand they cost a little more than standard paper. Made by a abrasive manufacture in Dayton Ohio I've been told.

http://www.shopsmithabrasives.com/disc-sanding.html

UPDATE (again) I was thinking Advanti brand blades.
    One of life's ironies. Lowes used to sell Freud blades under the "Avanti" brand. HD sold Freud blades under the Diablo brand. Bosch buys Freud, sells HD the the Avanti name, which they assign to Chinese junk. So now HD sells blades under both names, while Lowes went to CMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Presutti View Post
    Bill,

While your sitting at the computer pull up HD's site and find the product and leave a review. State that they aren't worth the time, effort, and money. I review anything I don't have first hand experience/knowledge of, and judging by the reviews I have read there seem to many out there that are all to happy to share a bad experience and warn others. Maybe Freud will tak note as well
    Done... There was only one review there on them and it was bad.

I bought 3 or 4 boxes of the Norton's before they quit selling them, and was shocked to see the Diablo's just days later and no Notron's in sight. Glad I bought'em when I did.

Same with HD in my area. No more Norton. Although I found the dust collection on the Freuds acceptable with my DeWalt ROS. It's got the 8 hole pattern, so more of the holes line up with them I suppose. However, the Nortons do cut better and seem to clog less in the middle where there are no holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I think I am just going to do what Harry said, take them back and tell them how bad they are. I don't want to have to redrill them when I can go buy ones that work just fine and I don't have to drill them.
    Some people like to 'fix' things so I offered that tip. If you really prefer the Norton 3X.....definitely return them. I for one just do not get that hole pattern on the Freud....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Hi Bill, I agree with Van, buy a box of Klingspor discs at an industrial supplier.

I pay about $20 for a box of discs, far less expensive than HD...........................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Bill, I agree with Van, buy a box of Klingspor discs at an industrial supplier.

I pay about $20 for a box of discs, far less expensive than HD...........................Rod.
    They are on order.....

I haven't used discs from Industrial Abrasives but given that abrasives is what they do, I expect they'd be pretty good. I have use the wraps for a drum sander and they seem to work well.
    http://www.industrialabrasives.com/h...04c403c95bf9da

A little follow up on these disk to show just how bad they are. A normal 8 hole disk as .9116 sq. in. of open area for the sander to pull dust though, the others have .0237 sq. in. to pull the dust though.
    Here is a picture of an 8 hole over the new ones, now that is really bad.

PC311814.jpg

go with Klingspor you can't beat their quality and/or performance

Ed

I know the prevailing view here is to return them, and I agree. I'd like to comment on one thing though. Some here suggested drilling new holes, and one person said use an old drill bit to keep from ruining nice sharp ones. I have a palm sander that I had significant trouble finding paper with any holes in at all to use with it. I could find 5" discs everywhere, but no square papers with holes in them. I simply laid one of my old papers over the new non-holed paper, and used a carriage bolt with a matching shank diameter to the hole as a punch to knock out perfectly round holes to the size needed and spaced accordingly. Put it on a scrap of wood and you'll find it cuts quite nicely since the wood surface gives below the bolt when struck, allowing for penetration and cutting of the paper. It's not a suggestion to fix this issue here, this comment is more of a suggestion on a quicker, simpler way to do what was being suggested here using drill bits before.

I am not surprised that the discs are crap.. Another poster commented on Freud Diablo blades and the difference between the industrial line.. Bang on .. I am in the building supply business and can tell you that having the name Freud on it does not mean you will enjoy it if your a serious woodworker. HD demands product they can both sell cheap AND make a healthy margin on .. so the wholesale cost has to be quite low.. Think about it..

The margin on the Industrial line of blades is actually quite low.. Do the math.. when buying from Freud, the cost of the Industrial line is way, way higher than the lower end stuff..

We started selling Tenryu about 2 years ago and it become our top selling brand. After the finishing carpenters and woodworkers try them, they seem to stay Tenryu.. The Freud Industrial blades are good but the lower end stuff damages the reputation.. About 4-5 times a year I get some customer telling me how expensive our Freud is compared to HD.. its an explanation I have had to make before...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Like one of the other post said. Is the Diablo sandpaper made by Frued?

Take a look at the new line of Sandpaper by Shopsmith. Sold at Lowe's and some Ace Hardware store. I have not used them myself yet. (Still stocked up right now) but response from other woodworkers has been good. I understand they cost a little more than standard paper. Made by a abrasive manufacture in Dayton Ohio I've been told.

http://www.shopsmithabrasives.com/disc-sanding.html

I have started using these and love them.

My local HD has norton but they are multi hole disc. I found some really nice 8 hole disc at the local doitbest hardware store.