Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No more Norton sanding disk at my Home Depot......

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your comments about our new line of Diablo sandpaper/abrasives. We are committed to offering the best sandpaper/abrasives on the market, and we appreciate any feedback that helps us improve our products.

As we developed our abrasive range, we conducted extensive testing versus other sandpaper lines on the market. In comparative tests of random orbit sanding discs, for example, our testing has shown that Diablo discs deliver an average of over 18% faster stock removal in hardwood, as well as 18% better dust collection. In softwoods, we have shown improvement of 9% to 18% in both stock removal and dust collection, depending on the grit tested. Since dust collection efficiency has been raised as an issue on this forum, we would like to point out that our testing suggests that the unique pattern of multiple small holes in Diablo discs actually allows dust to be drawn more efficiently into the sander, compared to the patterns of larger holes you have seen in the market.

Despite those positive test results, we also are well aware that problems can occur, and we take any customer suggestions or input very seriously. That’s why we are very interested in communicating in more detail about your experience with Diablo abrasives. If you will take a few minutes to contact us directly, we would like to learn more about your application and the problem you encountered, and also arrange an exchange of the product free of charge. We hope we can resolve the issue to your satisfaction, and we really appreciate your support in elevating the performance of Diablo sandpaper/abrasives.

Please contact me by email at cmccracken@freudtools.com
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Hey bill. I'm from fort worth too and I feel your pain. Thankfully you can still go to woodcraft and Rockler for norton sandpaper. Also you can go to northerntool which have good prices and sutherlands too.

Blog Entries
    Bill, I bought some of the discs, too, because I let my supply run low and needed some quickly. I think I'll go on line and post a bad review. I don't' like them at all. Guess I'll be going to Klingspor as well.

P.S. spell-checker thinks Klingspor should be Klingon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your comments about our new line of Diablo sandpaper/abrasives. We are committed to offering the best sandpaper/abrasives on the market, and we appreciate any feedback that helps us improve our products.

As we developed our abrasive range, we conducted extensive testing versus other sandpaper lines on the market. In comparative tests of random orbit sanding discs, for example, our testing has shown that Diablo discs deliver an average of over 18% faster stock removal in hardwood, as well as 18% better dust collection. In softwoods, we have shown improvement of 9% to 18% in both stock removal and dust collection, depending on the grit tested. Since dust collection efficiency has been raised as an issue on this forum, we would like to point out that our testing suggests that the unique pattern of multiple small holes in Diablo discs actually allows dust to be drawn more efficiently into the sander, compared to the patterns of larger holes you have seen in the market.

Despite those positive test results, we also are well aware that problems can occur, and we take any customer suggestions or input very seriously. That’s why we are very interested in communicating in more detail about your experience with Diablo abrasives. If you will take a few minutes to contact us directly, we would like to learn more about your application and the problem you encountered, and also arrange an exchange of the product free of charge. We hope we can resolve the issue to your satisfaction, and we really appreciate your support in elevating the performance of Diablo sandpaper/abrasives.

Charles,

Thanks fo your reply and hopefully those that have first hand experience will indeed contact you. I have one question was the increase in dust collection data gathered using only the internal capability of ROS or with an external vac attached or a average of the two. I could see the difference in flow rates making a large difference in efficacy, what might increase dust collection for one might do the opposite for the other.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Hi Bill,

Email sent, I explained the problems I found with them.

Got my order from Klingspor today, they looks good now I will just have to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Got my order from Klingspor today, they looks good now I will just have to try them out.
    Where are you ordering from?

Blog Entries
    I order Deft Danish Oil from Klingspor on line.

There is an online site where you can order sanding products.

I have Klingspor catalogs they send me in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Charles,

Thanks fo your reply and hopefully those that have first hand experience will indeed contact you. I have one question was the increase in dust collection data gathered using only the internal capability of ROS or with an external vac attached or a average of the two. I could see the difference in flow rates making a large difference in efficacy, what might increase dust collection for one might do the opposite for the other.
    Hi Van,

We performed tests with powered dust collectors but since they vary so widely we focused primarily on the built in collection for comparison. You raise a valid point and I believe that due to the wide range of collectors available there is an equally wide range of answers. Product development and refinement is vital in a new product line and we will be listening to feedback from customers, following up with testing and making changes where necesasry to ensure that Diablo abrasives are the best available.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Thanks for the candid answers Charles. It is indeed hard to make a product that fits everyones intended use. I could also see it being true what works with out dust collectors vs with them could indeed be two different things.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Klingspor sells their line of products thru it's own online store. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Come on folks. Keep it civil please!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deckelman View Post
    Where are you ordering from?
    http://www.woodworkingshop.com/