Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Norton sanding disk at my Home Depot......

No more Norton sanding disk at my Home Depot......

I needed a few sanding disk for my little Dewalt ROS so I went up to my local HD, and to my surprise all of the Norton disk were gone, all the shelves were red with Diablo sanding disk, no others of any type on the shelves.

So I had to get them, I am not at all happy with them, yes they sand but the dust collection is not good at all. They do not have holes to match the 8 holes my sander has. What they have is a bunch of small hole that really don't work very well, there may be one or two little holes over the ones on the sander but that is about it.

So I guess I will be ordering all my disk online now, I liked the Norton 3x and they did a good job. I hate to see Frued put out something like this, junk as far as I am concerned. I like their saw blades and router bits and I think that is were they should stop and leave the sand paper to someone else.

23e175e0-8f89-4050-93d4-eed66183e003_300.jpg

don't blame Freud, blame HD. They demand the price point they are willing to pay, require the vendor to stock the inventory, and generally force the manufacturer to use cheap stuff if they want to sell to them. Dave

Actually, the blame lies with the consumer. If we didn’t buy that junk—Home Depot couldn’t sell it.

Bill. Take that junk back to Home Depot for a refund, find the general manager, and tell them the quality is unacceptable. If we won’t buy it, they can’t sell it.

I think I saw this tip in Shop Notes.....sandwich the new discs between two pieces of wood; use an old sanding disc as a template to mark out locations for new holes; and drill holes into the new discs. This helps with dust collection.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

[QUOTE=Harry Hagan;1838651]Actually, the blame lies with the consumer. If we didn�t buy that junk�Home Depot couldn�t sell it.

Bill. Take that junk back to Home Depot for a refund, find the general manager, and tell them the quality is unacceptable. If we won�t buy it, they can�t sell it.[/QU

Exactly right Harry, I stand corrected. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    I think I saw this tip in Shop Notes.....sandwich the new discs between two pieces of wood; use an old sanding disc as a template to mark out locations for new holes; and drill holes into the new discs. This helps with dust collection.
    That sounds like a lot of effort to fix a broken product, *and* it makes home depot think they are good sellers.
    As Harry said, return these, buy sanding discs that work properly.

Shame. Get to know Klingspor http://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=vd900 they don't cut quite as quick but they last longer and are about half the price. Get their VD900 discs (the ones in the link). Klingspor is the go to for excellent abrasives at great prices.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    don't blame Freud, blame HD. They demand the price point they are willing to pay, require the vendor to stock the inventory, and generally force the manufacturer to use cheap stuff if they want to sell to them. Dave
    But at what point do you lower you product to sell it at HD. Should Festool start making junk just so they can sell it at HD? I guess this is there lower line of product but where is the good sanding disk?

I think I am just going to do what Harry said, take them back and tell them how bad they are. I don't want to have to redrill them when I can go buy ones that work just fine and I don't have to drill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Shame. Get to know Klingspor http://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=vd900 they don't cut quite as quick but they last longer and are about half the price. Get their VD900 discs (the ones in the link). Klingspor is the go to for excellent abrasives at great prices.
    Van, that is just what I am going to do, I have use them before and I guess I need to watch my stock better so I don't run out in the middle of a project.

The reality is most people that buy ROS discs at the Borgs don't even use any sort of duct collection on their ROS, so fewer inventory items plus larger purchases of "universal" discs from the supplier = more profit and satisfies 90+% of their clientale. Does the box say Freud since HD has carried non-Freud "Diablo" branded circular saw blades? Most people that know the Freud Industrail line respect it but they also know the lower lines are a crap shoot. It is just a sign of the times, not all bad since the same mentality brings a HF version of the Fein Multi-master that makes a lot of people here happy. It just requires us to be more informed consumers, which is made easy by communities like this, you have just prevented a lot of people from making your error as they have probably prevented you from making their error. Chalk it up to the good of the whole.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If you do this, use an OLD drill bit. The sandpaper will eat up the edge on drill bits and they won't be good for much else after you drill a package of sandpaper.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That Diablo disk looks like a great solution to me. If the sander manufacturers were to standardize on the hole pattern it would be even better, don't you think?

Like one of the other post said. Is the Diablo sandpaper made by Frued?

Take a look at the new line of Sandpaper by Shopsmith. Sold at Lowe's and some Ace Hardware store. I have not used them myself yet. (Still stocked up right now) but response from other woodworkers has been good. I understand they cost a little more than standard paper. Made by a abrasive manufacture in Dayton Ohio I've been told.

http://www.shopsmithabrasives.com/disc-sanding.html

UPDATE- I just searched on line and a rep from Frued (on another forum) said the Sandpaper is a Frued product. But also said Diablo has always been a Frued name and all blades are still made in Italy. I'm going to have to look at Diablo blades again at HD.

UPDATE (again) I was thinking Advanti brand blades.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-29-2011 at 4:23 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I am all for a standard pattern but for myriad reasons it ain't gonna happen. The problem with the collection of small holes is the amount of open space over any sanders hole pattern is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY limited, it just can't be as effective as full sized holes in the correct position.