Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it be fixed?

Can it be fixed?

Hardly a woodworking question, if this should be moved or deleted please mods do what you think is appropriate. That said, SWMBO has a friend that asked me if I can fix her favorite cutting board, pic below. It's made of corian (or something similar), the same material as her countertops. It's sort of heavy and only about 1/2 inch thich. Would you guess epoxy would do the trick? Maybe drill for a small steel/brass dowel first?

cutboard.jpg

They make an epoxy for gluing corian together. It comes in the color of the corian and once glued up you should not be able to see where it is seamed.

You need Corian adhesive. http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Comm...cessories.html

It can be found in the small bottles for about $10 all over the web, it is a color match adhesive.

The bond area will be small but this will give you the best shot.

CAs and epoxy will not hold, especially on that repair.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If it was me, I'd definitely pin it.

Or you could do one better and tell her to buy a new cutting board that isn't horrible for her knives

just saying,
    JeffD

I agree with Matt, no matter what glue you use I would put a pin in each side, then glue it and I think it will last a long time.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot as soon as I get my hands on that glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Or you could do one better and tell her to buy a new cutting board that isn't horrible for her knives

just saying,
    JeffD
    Or build here one that isn't horrible for her knives... I do agree since I wouldn't let any of my knives close to a Corian cutting board.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

First Corian is no harder than hickory so it is not hard on knives. However wood kills bacteria and Corian does not.

Second on such a small glue surface I would pin.

Third CA when properly used is 2 to 5 times as strong as a solid surface epoxy.

Wipe alcohol, assemble and clamp, make sure that humidity is above 35%, apply a wicking grade CA, allow to cure undisturbed for 24 hours, sand off excess adhesive.

You will have an excellent repair that will probably be invisible.
    "And now for something completely different..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
    First Corian is no harder than hickory so it is not hard on knives. However wood kills bacteria and Corian does not.

The question is not hardness it has more to do with the way the varied polymer cutting boards effect the interaction between the board/knife/user. It is a highly contentious area and whether the science bears it out 9 out of 10 chefs hate for their precious knive to touch polymer cutting boards. Anyone with good knife skills knows how much a polymer cutting board is slow and sticky. Wood has some back into good graces in professional kitchens since the anti-bacterial superiority of wood has been proven.

You are right about HDPE polymer boards but Corian is not as sticky as those. But we sell hundreds of professional carving board stations with Corian every year. They rejected HDPE but prefer Corian though it is much more expensive.

I think that wood is best over all.
    Last edited by Ken Dolph; 12-29-2011 at 7:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
    You are right about HDPE polymer boards but Corian is not as sticky as those. But we sell hundreds of professional carving board stations with Corian every year. They rejected HDPE but prefer Corian though it is much more expensive.

I think that wood is best over all.
    I think we can make a distiction between a carving board and a chefs cutting board, the knives from the chefs personal bag will never touch that carving station board. the HPDE boards are indeed the worst but Corian is also bad about hanging and sticking a knife, harder polymers like Corian still handicap good knife skills and as a result put blades through a beating. No need to drag this out as I can agree just to disagree but we both agree wood is the king of food cutting surfaces.

I would finish cutting off the handles to make it look symmetrical, and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I think we can make a distiction between a carving board and a chefs cutting board, the knives from the chefs personal bag will never touch that carving station board. the HPDE boards are indeed the worst but Corian is also bad about hanging and sticking a knife, harder polymers like Corian still handicap good knife skills and as a result put blades through a beating. No need to drag this out as I can agree just to disagree but we both agree wood is the king of food cutting surfaces.
    Amen, I agree completely.

From where I sit, that thing looks like two new ZCI's just waiting to be made