Thread: Forstner bit set

Forstner bit set

Was reading the FWW review on Forstner bit sets. I can see the Famag are the top dog, but it looked like they thought well of the Grizzly set (marked best buy). That set has been discontinued, anyone know if there is a newer set from Grizzly that is similar quality to the one they dropped? Or does someone have a better recommendation for a set? I'm looking for a set of at least 16 that tops 2" on the large end. Looks like most of the sets go in 1/8" increments, but I did see one that went in 1/16"! I could probably eventually swing the $335 at Woodcraft for the Famags, but I'm wondering if I can get something that will serve me about as well for less $$$.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Was reading the FWW review on Forstner bit sets. I can see the Famag are the top dog, but it looked like they thought well of the Grizzly set (marked best buy). That set has been discontinued, anyone know if there is a newer set from Grizzly that is similar quality to the one they dropped? Or does someone have a better recommendation for a set? I'm looking for a set of at least 16 that tops 2" on the large end. Looks like most of the sets go in 1/8" increments, but I did see one that went in 1/16"! I could probably eventually swing the $335 at Woodcraft for the Famags, but I'm wondering if I can get something that will serve me about as well for less $$$.

Thanks
    BTW the top dog has probably changed since that review, it has for me. I have a full set of the Famag Bormax forstners but I don't use them anymore since I got a set of Colt Maxi Cut forstners. Those Colts were introduced after the review.

There are plenty of forstner sets that are cheaper and work fine by many accounts, I haven't used them but I am sure others will chime in.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'm pretty sure mine is that older Grizzly set, and ... I've been *totally* happy with it.

I wonder if there's ANY chance you can get an honest answer, from Grizzly, about what's changed, in the newer version. If it's the same supplier, and the same specs ... it might be worth taking a chance .... ???

Haven't seen the FWW article, so I can't speak to which set they tested, but I have the regular, non HSS 31 piece set from Grizzly, it is pretty awesome if you ask me. I have a few bits that are oversized even for this set I had to order individually for some of the work I do (I like making clocks...), but with very few exceptions, I never have to wonder if I have the right size forstner bit, it's there...

The item is Grizzly H7694.
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 12-29-2011 at 3:26 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    BTW the top dog has probably changed since that review, it has for me. I have a full set of the Famag Bormax forstners but I don't use them anymore since I got a set of Colt Maxi Cut forstners. Those Colts were introduced after the review.

There are plenty of forstner sets that are cheaper and work fine by many accounts, I haven't used them but I am sure others will chime in.
    I have to agree with Van Huskey, the Colt Maxi Cut are the best I have ever used, bought them with Lee Valley free shipping last year.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

BTW if you want to see a short video review of the Maxi Cut: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/video/colt_forstner

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the Grizzly 6 pc set. It was cheap and is fine for a lot of operations. But they do tend to clog quickly, which can cause overheating. At ~$20 it's hard to argue their value, but if yr looking for something even vaguely more production-ish, then I'd look elsewhere.

I've heard a good 'budget' buy is the Lee Valley set.

I've used the Freud carbide 7 piece forstner bit set for 15 years and never had to sharpen. I work solely with hardwoods which seem to dull HSS bits very quickly. The Freud set sells for $142 on Amazon. It includes a 1 3/8 " bit which is the size needed for European hinges.

Festool just may become the king, they have a new bit out that looks really good. Popular Woodworking in the magazine gave it the best in the bunch, even over the Colt.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te...yle-drill-bits

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Festool just may become the king, they have a new bit out that looks really good. Popular Woodworking in the magazine gave it the best in the bunch, even over the Colt.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te...yle-drill-bits

I actually was going to mention the Zobo bits but unless/until they are available in imperial measurements they are a non-starter for me and I imagine a lot of other people. They were designed to work in handheld drills and but certainly be excellent in a press as well. My guess will be they will be a small player long term even if they introduce imperial sizes as based on their twist bit line they will unlikely branch out past 5 sizes.

That's the set I saw that went in 1/16" increments. At $90, they sure look attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Haven't seen the FWW article, so I can't speak to which set they tested, but I have the regular, non HSS 31 piece set from Grizzly, it is pretty awesome if you ask me. I have a few bits that are oversized even for this set I had to order individually for some of the work I do (I like making clocks...), but with very few exceptions, I never have to wonder if I have the right size forstner bit, it's there...

The item is Grizzly H7694.