Thread: precisebits collet question

precisebits collet question

On the Precisebits web site they have PG collet types and up collet types. What is the difference?

Should I purchase multiple nuts so I dont have to seperate the nut from the collet?

I'm not sure what "up" collets are but I have a "regular" set of their colllets for my Hitachi router. Changing out the collets is very easy...I only have one nut (man, that doesn't sound right!)

PG (precision grade) TIR < 0.0004in (0.01mm)
    UP (ultra-precision grade) TIR < 0.0002in (0.005mm)

Only one nut is needed, as the collets snap out of them with very little force.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I can't fathom why anyone would be interested in the UP grade over the precision grade when they are using the collets on a Router with bearings that are manufactured to a lesser standard and a machine that probably has a wooden spoil board in a workshop that the temperature varies considerably over a 24 hour period. Those kinds of tolerances are insane for woodworking tasks especially on non-engineered materials.

I own a set of the Precisebits collets and they seem to work well, its the dang wrench that is a pain to get on the collet. I use a spindle on the ShopBot at CNU that has a collet wrench that is by far superior, not a small detail when you use a machine all day long.

They have a upgraded wrench down that is a lot better!
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0

Thanks Ed I'll take a look at the new wrench.

Do you have to purchase the new wrench seperatly or does it now come with the deluxe kits?

I now have a Hitachi M12 on the KRMx02 and a Bosch 1617 on the KRMx01 CNC. They use the same collets so I was thinking of purchasing a deluxe kit, extra nut and extra 1/4" collet.

I only use the 1/2" collet when I a surfacing a fixture or stock. I mostly use the 1/4" collet. I will only use the 1/8" when I use the small end mills I have for my Foredom.

FYI both the Bosch and Hitachi are nice routers with very little vibration. Its the dang collets they come with that are junk.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I can't fathom why anyone would be interested in the UP grade over the precision grade when they are using the collets on a Router with bearings that are manufactured to a lesser standard and a machine that probably has a wooden spoil board in a workshop that the temperature varies considerably over a 24 hour period. Those kinds of tolerances are insane for woodworking tasks especially on non-engineered materials.
    In general I would agree. However, the bearings are actually quite good in most of these routers. As such there are a couple of good reasons to go with a better grade collet (regardless if we make it or not).

Tool life:
    Tool life can be effected quite a bit by runout. Cutting tool engineering has a interesting article on it (Link). How much it effects life depends on material being cut, tooling, etc.

Long tooling:
    All collet measurements are at the face of the collet. As you go farther down the tool the runout increases based on the starting runout at the face. This can turn into a lot of runout on longer tooling.

Small tooling:
    A tool will tolerate about 10% of it's diameter in runout (at the tip of the tool) before it breaks. If you are starting to get into smaller tooling this can be an issue. The problem is exacerbated by the tool length issue above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrall View Post
    They have a upgraded wrench down that is a lot better!
    Please keep in mind we currently only have the talon for the Porter Cable nuts. We are working on the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    Do you have to purchase the new wrench seperatly or does it now come with the deluxe kits?
    Currently the kits are packed with the original wrench.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

My kit came with the original spanner wrench and I must say it is a piece of crap. Very difficult to use. Collets on the other hand are great. Have all three size. Noticed on the order page, http://www.precisebits.com/products/...llets_nuts.asp that a Talon spanner costs $12.95 but requires a $50 minimum order. Maybe this can be addressed??????

10. Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Our distributor Jeff Birt at www.soigeneris.com will be carrying these and has no minimum order. I'm not sure when they will be on his site but you can contact him through his web site.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Look like the new wrench is only available for the PC routers. Mine are Bosch and Hitachi. I wont be ordering a set until the wrench for those routers had been replaced.

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I'm online searching for tips on using the precisebits nuts and collet and came upon this thread. Just wanted to say, I have a devil of a time changing nuts with my collet. I try following the instructions to tilt the nut and then rotate until you hear a click, but I never hear a click and it never just pops out. I end up taking the eraser end of a pencil and pushing on the business end of the nut while it's tilted until it pops out. Drives me nuts...no pun intended.

Wow, you might want to contact them I have 2 different sets and both are very easy to change. One on a large porter cable router 7518 and the other on a bosh trim router.
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0