Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new shop!

Just bought a new shop!

Well, new to me anyway. I have a detached garage that I finished out a couple of years ago, and have been wanting to make into a woodworking shop. I've been lurking on these forums, and waiting for the right opportunity to purchase a good used cabinet saw to get started. I came across a Grizzly for sale close to home. Turns out, this older gentleman was getting out of woodworking and taking up fishing with his grandkids. So I took the plunge and ended up buying more than I had originally planned since I was able to stay in budget! But now I'm so overwhelmed with all this machinery lol. Everything is in working condition, so I think I got a good deal...but not sure. What is bottom dollar value of these machines in fair condition?
    1999 Grizzly G1023 10"table saw
    1999 Grizzly G1021 15" planer
    Older wood lathe (WL1200)
    1982 Craftsman 1hp wood shaper
    1996 Central Machinery 1 hp wood shaper
    Delta Belt/disk sander 31-730
    6 3/4" shaper cutters
    spare blades for planer
    3 lathe tools

I'm currently working on getting the sawdust removed, cleaning the rusty iron surfaces, locating copies of owners manuals, and learning as much as I can. Can't wait to start making sawdust of my own! Should I sell one of the shapers to get a router/table?? Thanks.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Heath, welcome to SMC, and congrats on the acquisition!

Work safely!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome to the Creek!

Around here a good purchase is called a gloat, we love gloats. If you have a good gloat you get return posts with YOU SUCK! or derivations in them, it is the way some of us say great find. There are two rules about gloat thread, rule 1 no pictures = didn't happen, rule number 2 refer to rule #1. It isn't because we think you are fibbing, we just want to see!

Hang around and have fun!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Welcome to the Creek Heath!
    Looking forward to seeing the pics of your newly aquired toys...

Welcome Heath. Sorry about the loss of your digital camera. Sure would loved to have seen your great find! on the shaper question, the only time I have ever seen fit to sell a shaper is to buy a bigger shaper. I like shapers. But I would recommend. a good router table too. Shapers are pack animals by nature I feel, and to separate them in captivity is cruel. Enjoy your machines and stay safe. Remember, it's hard to pick your. nose with your toes!

I would think about dust collection before going any further. It's important, and your planer won't work very well without it. As for a router table, get ready for sticker shock. They can cost anywhere from almost nothing, to more than a really good used shaper.

I second the idea of getting a DC next, as well as some routers.

I'll take a shot at pricing. These are what I would consider good deals if found seperately, together the total should be less (especially since you bought so many):
    1999 Grizzly G1023 10"table saw: $400
    1999 Grizzly G1021 15" planer: $400
    Older wood lathe (WL1200): don't know much about it - maybe $100?
    1982 Craftsman 1hp wood shaper - $100
    1996 Central Machinery 1 hp wood shaper - $100
    Delta Belt/disk sander 31-730 - could be a gem if it's a nice old one - $100
    6 3/4" shaper cutters $50
    spare blades for planer $25
    3 lathe tools $25

I'd say all together for $1000 would be a great deal. I'm jealous of your TS & planer either way - great scores there! Especially since i'm looking for a planer like that. Welcome to the Creek.

Merry Christmas to You
    Good Luck
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Blog Entries
    as we always say here......

it never happened if you dont have pictures!

Heath -

Great score on the equipment. In response to your question about the shapers, I would try to sell one of them and make a router table. Use the build process to improve your skills. There are plenty of design references on this site. If you buy one, all you will learn is how to spend money.

If the router table turns out to be below your expectations, don't tell anyone. Salvage the parts that you like, build a second one, and brag about that one!

Thanks for the welcome. I guess it's about time I posted something since I've been reading these forums for almost two years! Good point on the dust collection...I was thinking about starting out lugging my shop vac from machine to machine as I use them. I'm also on the lookout for a good used DC if the price is right....and a jointer too . I spent all day yesterday cleaning the rust off surfaces of the table saw, sander, and one of the shapers. And cleaned what looked to be a decade worth of sawdust out of the table saw. Oh yeah, someone mentioned pics....I took a few last night, and as you can see it's still a long way to go before I can actually start building anything. Today I plan to build a new extension table for the table saw, put the Central Machinery shaper back together (I realized it is 3/4HP, not 1HP).
    Back to the shapers though....I'm still not sure about needing two...?. Yes, it's nice to have but don't know about the Craftsman because it seems that parts are no longer available for this particular unit (Model 113.239291). Can anyone confirm this? Plus, I've got a guy wanting to buy the 1HP Craftsman shaper for $150. Sell? or Keep and try to sell the Central??
    Also, should I worry about removing the rust off the planer table?? It looks like a lot of trouble to get to...

Well what do you think? I thought it was a good deal for $775.
    Last edited by Heath Puckett; 12-31-2011 at 8:45 AM.

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding......definately gloatworthy. even deserving of a YOU SUCK!

Blog Entries
    775!??! OMG all you Americans SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    775!??! OMG all you Americans SUCK!

When it comes to WWing machines you are correct, but we have a harder time getting good humus, falafel, goulash, or couscous!

To the OP YOU SUCK!

In my opinion I would dump BOTH the "shapers" and the cutters. I would then put the money into a good router table setup. I am not a fan of those light weight baby shapers. I personally would dump the lathe as well, if you can get $250 out of the three of them and some more money from the shaper cutters it will make your deal much better overall.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah.

The domestic baba ghanoush is hardly worth a mention, either