Thread: A funny - Age Determined by a trip to HD

A funny - Age Determined by a trip to HD

Men's Age ... as Determined by a Trip to Home Depot

You are in the middle of some kind of project around the house- mowing the lawn, putting in a new fence, painting the living room, or whatever. You are hot and sweaty, covered in dirt or paint. You have your old work clothes on. You know the outfit - shorts with the hole in the crotch, old T-shirt with a stain from who knows what, and an old pair of tennis shoes.

Right in the middle of this great home improvement project you realize you need to run to Home Depot to get something to help complete the job.

Depending on your age you might do the following:

In your 20's:

Stop what you are doing. Shave, take a shower, blow dry your hair, brush your teeth, floss, and put on clean clothes. Check yourself in the mirror and flex. Add a dab of your favorite cologne because you never know, you just might meet some hot chick while standing in the checkout lane. And you went to school with the pretty girl running the register.

In your 30's:

Stop what you are doing, put on clean shorts and shirt. Change shoes. You married the hot chick so no need for much else. Wash your hands and comb your hair. Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it. Add a shot of your favourite cologne to cover the smell. The cute girl running the register is the kid sister to someone you went to school with.

In your 40's:

Stop what you are doing. Put on a sweatshirt that is long enough to cover the hole in the crotch of your shorts. Put on different shoes and a hat. Wash your hands. Your bottle of Brute Cologne is almost empty so you don't want to waste any of it on a trip to Home Depot. Check yourself in the mirror and do more sucking in than flexing. The spicy young thing running the register is your daughter's age and you feel weird thinking she is spicy.

In your 50's:

Stop what you are doing. Put a hat on, wipe the dirt off your hands onto your shirt. Change shoes because you don't want to get dog poop in your new sports car. Check yourself in the mirror and you swear not to wear that shirt anymore because it makes you look fat. The Cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember the hat you have on is from Buddy's Bait &Beer Bar and it says, 'I Got Worms.'

In your 60's:

Stop what you are doing. No need for a hat anymore. Hose the dog poop off your shoes. The mirror was shattered when you were in your 50's. You hope you have underwear on so nothing hangs out the hole in your pants. The girl running the register may be cute, but you don't have your glasses on so you are not sure.

In your 70's:

Stop what you are doing. Wait to go to Home Depot until the drug store has your prescriptions ready, too. Don't even notice the dog poop on your shoes. The young thing at the register smiles at you because you remind her of her grandfather.

In your 80's:

Stop what you are doing. Start again. Then stop again. Now you remember you needed to go to Home Depot. Go to Wal-Mart instead and wander around trying to think what it is you are looking for. You went to school with the old lady who greeted you at the front door.

In your 90's and beyond:

What's a home deep hoe? Something for my garden? Where am I? Who am I? Why am I reading this? Did I send it? Did you?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, you are to funny. I fit in one of your categories.

The Cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember the hat you have on is from Buddy's Bait &Beer Bar and it says, 'I Got Worms.'
    LOL!
    Too funny - because something similar happened to me!

I go into McDonalds one day.
    There's a group of four or so young girls sitting in a booth. They're the only customer's there.
    I'm looking at the menu tryig to decide what to order when I hear from behind me
    "There's your date"!

I turn to look at the door to see what sort of deranged freak waddled in....

Nada...
    It's just me and the McDonalds lady behind the counter . :O

So do I, Joe, so do I. It is understood that no woman of the south should ever walk out the door without a full coat of war paint and every hair in place. I gave that up several years ago.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Yeah, when I go to the BORG I just get "m'aam"ed to death.

A couple of years ago the SO and I went to Hooters to watch a GA football game. He was flirtin' up a storm with the server, as always. She asked if we were there for the GA game. He said "Yes, we are." and that's when things turned ugly. She then says, "Oh, do you have grandchildren who go to GA?". The look on his face was priceless. I never seem to have a camera handy at the right time.

Bella Terra

I fit in all of the categories below the 70's at one time or the other. I still change out of my sweats when I leave the house and at least check my hair prior to walking out the door. One thing was left out of the list, us guys at one or more of the age steps always make a pit stop before leaving because we may not make it to the back of HD where the porcelain hangs out. I still have some hair left so I don't have to make sure to wear a hat unless I think I might spend some time out in the Sun.
    David B

I will fit the 70 group soon enough but none of the clues are apply to me

Pretty close to the truth but being in my 60's and still having all my hair I don't need the cap and just wet the hair and comb it because it probably looks like it did when I got out of bed that morning.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Good one. I go a different route, though. I'm in my early 30's. The worse I look when I walk into a home center, the better. It allows me to go largely unnoticed. I don't know why, but when some 18 year old (or younger) girl flashes the dewy eye at me, it make me feel a little creepy. If I'm covered in my usual sticky mixture of saw dust and motor oil, they won't even see me! I don't see a lot of women (shopping or working) at those stores who are my age, so I'm not losing out. On the plus side, the guys who work there, and assume themselves to be experts, won't think I'm some yuppie and try to sell me crap I don't need.
    It all works out in my twisted little world
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Belinda,

If you wrote that, you need to be syndicated.

Hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah - I FULLY understand most of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Belinda,

If you wrote that, you need to be syndicated.

Hilarious. Thanks for sharing.
    Sorry, should have made clear in the OP that I am not the author. Someone sent it to me. I wish I wrote that well!

Bella Terra

Perhaps being a contractor has desensitized me to my own appearance. If I'm away from home and need something, I just go get it. If I'm home, I'll wash my hands and change my shirt if it's sweat-soaked or greasy/oily from wrenching on a vehicle. I guess the age progressions just don't apply to me. There was a time, though (teens and into my 20s), when I wouldn't leave the house without having showered that day. Now I can miss a day or so and know how to hide it. Not to mention, I'm "off the market", so I don't really care beyond making sure that people won't smell me coming...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

this happened yesterday (i am 51)...working on my pellet stove and needed to run out for something quick...had on my old beat up, dog chewed, no laces, "keen" shoes...looked around for a minute for an acceptable pair of shoes...then said to myself why? and headed out....