Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sausage - have you ever?

belinda, i actually saw the making of blood sausage on "How its Made" the other night.

My Dad had it all the time and it was common among the Germans and swedes in North Dakota when I was there many years ago.. Came in sausage form with chunks of fat in it. No Thank you!!

blood sausage

As another person who grew up in Detroit, we had kishka(spelling probably incorrect) . It is an old Polish standby. Fried in a skillet it was reminiscent of ground beef ( with the casing off) and it was rather blah in the taste department.

We found blood sausage still available in specialty shops in upstate NY...way upstate. My wife loves it and remembers it as a staple on her family's dining table as she was growing up, so she buys some whenever we visit the homestead. I like it too.

I remember it as a kid. French Canadian grew up in USA. I didn't like it as a kid. It tasted dry and chalky. We had it with eggs. I didn't really know what it was. After 40-50 years I have never had it again, and I don't miss it. Yech

I can remember my grand parents who had a farm, buchering and saving the blood to make susage and also cutting every thing off the head to make head cheeze. I have a friend at work who's dad still makes head cheeze and he always bring some to work. Its really not bad. I know I have had alot of things I ate that would make some people shutter. Rocky mountain oysters (bull nuts), gizzards and hearts from duck and chickens you had just bucherd and lots of different wild game just to name a few. It's just how you were raised up.

Thanks for all the replies folks. My mother's family came to Georgia when it was first being settled from North Carolina. One of my ancestors on her side came to the US from Ireland. I wonder if that is the origin of the tradition of blood sausage.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Les Kuesel View Post
    I can remember my grand parents who had a farm, buchering and saving the blood to make susage and also cutting every thing off the head to make head cheeze. I have a friend at work who's dad still makes head cheeze and he always bring some to work. Its really not bad. I know I have had alot of things I ate that would make some people shutter. Rocky mountain oysters (bull nuts), gizzards and hearts from duck and chickens you had just bucherd and lots of different wild game just to name a few. It's just how you were raised up.
    Rocky Mountain oysters [bull or pig] came from the mountains of Kentucky before they got to the plains states, livers, hearts and gizzards are still stock at the meat dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks. My mother's family came to Georgia when it was first being settled from North Carolina. One of my ancestors on her side came to the US from Ireland. I wonder if that is the origin of the tradition of blood sausage.
    most of the people that settle in the states East of the Mississippi River come from the United Kingdom , walking on their own feet , not being carry while lying on their bed on their side [like a Queen]

10. Hi Belinda
    I'm from the U.K. and this is one of my favorite dishes, served gently pan fried with a black pepper corn sauce, blissful.
    I found this on Google, I wasn't sure if Google was regionally selective but you could give it a try. http://www.rathergood.com/black_pudding

Regards

Kevin
    As some one I know once said, "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it" give it a go and at least you can say no froma point of knowledge rather than not knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mitchell Casey View Post
    Hi Belinda
    I'm from the U.K. and this is one of my favorite dishes, served gently pan fried with a black pepper corn sauce, blissful.
    I found this on Google, I wasn't sure if Google was regionally selective but you could give it a try. http://www.rathergood.com/black_pudding

Regards

Kevin
    As some one I know once said, "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it" give it a go and at least you can say no froma point of knowledge rather than not knowing.
    Dear heaven, they lost me at the song. Now I'll be walking around the house all day singing "I've got a bowl of blood and fat." LOL . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I remember a blood sausage made in south Louisiana. I haven't seen or heard of it for years. As I remember, it was just called "blood sausage". I never ate it but saw it in the country stores refrigerated meat cases. That was many years ago when I was a small boy.

Mike
    In LA blood sausage is called boudin or more correctly boudin noir. Living in the Acadiana area boudin is available at all the specialty meat stores and every local grocery store. I am not a huge fan but it is always around at my wife's family social events. The commercial stuff they CAN sell now is different from true blood sausage but I have had that as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well, I'm not Jewish, but the Torah prohibits the consumption of blood. So in this instance, I'll keep kosher.

When I was in a boarding school in Quebec, they used to serve us blood pudding (called "boudin", probably a corruption of "pudding"). It didn't taste too bad. It has the consistency of cheese or liver. The closest thing I can think of that it tastes like, is liver.

It's more of a lower-class food, when you can't afford anything else. I haven't had it since.

Another delicacy is "gallantine", the congealed fat and gelatin from a roast, spread on bread. Mega-cholesterol!

Blog Entries
    I've had it courtesy of my grandparents and their relatives. The sausage neither wowed me or disgusted me. But it sure beats lutefisk or pickeled herring! We were forced to eat pickled herring on new years to bring good luck during the next year.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"