Thread: Wing angles on gouge????

Wing angles on gouge????

How do you go about getting the various angles I see here on different gouges? Do you grind the angle before sharpening by presenting the gouge to the grinder wheel at an angle with the flute in the closed position. Seems like it would be harder to get a catch with the wings at a 45 degree angle.
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

Blog Entries
    What kind of sharpener do you have? I use the Tormek tts100 and their universal gouge jig. You can pretty much make any wing shape you want. I personally go for the Elsworth grind. I've turned projects from beginning to end with this profile.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Dwight, I use the Wolverine setup, and the angle on the wings is automatically established when the tool is presented to the wheel. The initial angle is set on the nose of the tool. If you do not have a Raptor gauge, or a similar homemade gauge, then you will need to play with the arm setting to get the right beginning angle. I sharpen from the outer most point of the wing to the nose - repeating once on either side. The nose will grind away quickly, and so you want to fade out your sweep on the nose. If you start at the nose, you will end up with a flat spot, and take too much metal off the nose.

I have a Grizzly (Tormek clone) and also like the Ellsworth grind. I had a very! sloped grind on my Thompson 3/8 "U" and blunted it back to an Ellsworth.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Here you go, check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VP9SPmVnqA
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

And here is one for the Wolverine system (terrible video quality though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWUFYMAMBA
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------