Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between top grizzly 17" bandsaw and their basic 19" bandsaw?

Differences between top grizzly 17" bandsaw and their basic 19" bandsaw?

Are there any key quality, or functional differences (besides extra power and size) between the g0514xf and the g0513x2bf? They are essentially the same price and am wondering if one is more accurate than the other, all else being equal, why would I choose the smaller one for the same price?

2 inches...

FYI the G0513x2BF isn't their top 17" woodcutting bandsaw that would be the G636XB a machine built to take on the Italian bandsaws.

The biggest difference aside from HP and throat depth is the 513 has a foot controlled motor brake compared to a foot controlled manual brake on the 514. The fence isn't quite as nice on the 514 and there are a few other differences that are non-issues.

Given I like a mechanical foot brake better than a motor brake and the added HP of the 514, I think the extra ~$150 is well spent.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

3. whats the difference in the go514x2 and the go514xf, besides price and weight ?

4. think i found it, Micro adjusting geared table tilting mechanism.

How important is it to have a cast iron trunnions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Frontera dela Cruz View Post
    It is one of the things you want BUT it doesn't make a difference IF you don't plan on cutting really heavy things like logs. The good thing is if you ever feel like you need it you can add it, it is a $90 part.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

A couple other things to say about the Grizzly 513/514 lines is it has gotten a lot more complex in the last year and was already complex to begin with. They have a comparison chart but is outdated with the addition of all the new models. I wish they had a up to date chart OR a note in the description of each model that states clearly what it has the model immediately below it does not, sorta a "The 513X2BF has all the features of the 513X2F and adds..."

The thing you can pretty much count on IMHO is that as you move up in the lines the better equipped version tend to be increasingly better buys and leads to budget creep worse than any other machine lines Grizzly sells.

Their chart is very much outdated and was the main reason for posting here. Guide types are important and a foot brake is nice but if I already $1300 in I might as well do it right...funny about budget creep..I started at $1000...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    A couple other things to say about the Grizzly 513/514 lines is it has gotten a lot more complex in the last year and was already complex to begin with. They have a comparison chart but is outdated with the addition of all the new models. I wish they had a up to date chart OR a note in the description of each model that states clearly what it has the model immediately below it does not, sorta a "The 513X2BF has all the features of the 513X2F and adds..."

The thing you can pretty much count on IMHO is that as you move up in the lines the better equipped version tend to be increasingly better buys and leads to budget creep worse than any other machine lines Grizzly sells.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Frontera dela Cruz View Post
    Their chart is very much outdated and was the main reason for posting here. Guide types are important and a foot brake is nice but if I already $1300 in I might as well do it right...funny about budget creep..I started at $1000...
    Page 108 and 109 of the 2012 catalog has the updated comparison charts. The catalog is online right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/108

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/109

Blog Entries
    It is one of the things you want BUT it doesn't make a difference IF you don't plan on cutting really heavy things like logs. The good thing is if you ever feel like you need it you can add it, it is a $90 part.
    Agreed. I ended up with the 'tweener' model G0513X (versus the current G0513X2). The only difference is the steel trunnions versus the cast iron ones (and the bear's head cutouts in the wheels instead of just boring old circles). Both trunnions use the same hardened steel gear teeth. If you are going to be cutting logs that would threaten the steel trunnions I would think about a larger saw ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What is the difference between the "foot break" and the "Foot break with micro switch" ?
    Whats 'better', a foot break or the motor break?

I just noticed the updated chart in my catalog that arrived over the weekend; thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Page 108 and 109 of the 2012 catalog has the updated comparison charts. The catalog is online right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/108

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/109

...and leads to budget creep worse than any other machine lines Grizzly sells.
    I never thought to use the phrase "budget creep" - well put. When I come up with a budget, the 'creep' does not take place (in my head) until the cost has exceeded 25% of what I originally wanted to spend.

I usually never feel bad. Budget creep = more - who can complain.

I just got the 513X2BF last week. I wanted the ability to switch the saw off just with my feet. There are two differences I noted once it was delivered. First, it only runs on 220V and can't be hooked up temporarily to 110V (I guess that is due to the motor break electronics). The other is that the fence rail is the chrome rail that comes with the 514 versions and not the aluminum extrusion pictured with the other 513s. Not sure it makes a difference, but I stumbled over it because the assembly instructions included were for the aluminum rail.

I just noticed the updated chart in my catalog that arrived over the weekend; thanks.
    I came back to this thread to post exactly that. I got my catalog on Saturday just before the "festivities" around here sarted and this is the first time I have had a chance to post it.