Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood gloat

Never paid attention to the angle but I do know exactly what you are saying David. This crotch was huge, and it has feathering but the black in it to me will help offset what it may lack. I really wanted to take my big saw and my mill and cut that crotch for use as an end or coffee table slab. There are more there, we just couldnt get to everything in a day. We are going to give it a month so the coyotes clean up all the deer carcasses dumped by hunters, then get in there and hunt and gather wood as we come across it. I still plan on going back in in a week or so IF the weather allows it. They are do for 6 inches of snow today and if it stays cold, the wood thats down will have to wait until early spring. We are going to try to get a truck with a winch in there as well, there are a few big crotches just over the hill that got pushed by the dozer. I saw a few Ash, Oak and ofcourse more Cherry in just this one landing area. The loggers just finished another block so we need to get to that landing and see what they left for us

LLL_2140.jpgLLL_2141.jpgLLL_2142.jpg

Ok, 1st 2 are cut up. These are two that were in the back of the truck that werent easily seen in the other pic

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Ken, you probably already know this, but I'll pass it along anyway. My best luck with crotches has been for trees with about a 60 degree angle symmetrically centered between two branches. Narrower gaps seem to have a lot of bark inclusions as you've shown. Wider gaps seem to lack the figure that we're all after when we grab those chunks. Asymmetrical crotches are kind of a crap shoot in my limited experience. Of course, trees vary, so it's by no means a hard and fast rule.
    I didn't know that! Would a lesser angle also reduce wind shake?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

1st rough out done. 11 x 2 x 1 inch for now.

I am leaving the deep recesses in the outside, but I do not know if I should just AS them or CA them. They are deep enough that reaching in and sanding away any CA will be all but impossible.

DSC_1938.jpgDSC_1939.jpg

Some guys have all the luck! Nice haul. That bowl looks really promising. I can't wait to see it finished.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I just roughed out another bowl from a piece of cherry from this haul. No crotch, just a plain blank and I will be grabbing more next run. The larger cherry sure has some grain and color in it...might be plain but man is it saaawweeettt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    I just roughed out another bowl from a piece of cherry from this haul. No crotch, just a plain blank and I will be grabbing more next run. The larger cherry sure has some grain and color in it...might be plain but man is it saaawweeettt!
    Cherry has to be one of my favorite woods - even the plain stuff is beautiful, especially turned. I just wish we had those burls up here that you guys have down in WV, and near Baxter in DE. I'm always keeping my eye out though.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I will be in Unadilla twice I think this year Brian.....I can set a few pieces aside for ya

Careful with that cherry and cherry burl Ken, you won't want to turn Oak after that.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I tell ya what Nate, this stuff turns like butter. I havent done much cherry since last year and I know I have much better tool control now etc....but big fluffy shavings just are too much fun

Rough out # 3 is sealed and drying LOL

Loved the bear picture Ken.

Thanks Bobby Lynn. I have a few calls in to the right people (I hope) that may get me permission to document a few of the Tagging operations this winter with the state. It would be pretty cool to climb in a den and get some shots! Wife already said i can NOT bring a cub home LOL!

One of the pieces I cut today has HF writin all over it. The piece will be around 8 inches long and stands about 6 to 8 inches tall. Too much of the burl would be wasted turning a bowl from it. Holler if someone wants it!
    Last edited by Ken Hill; 01-02-2012 at 6:08 PM. Reason: Typing on this keyboard is getting plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    Holler if someone wants it!
    Sure wish we lived closer it each other!

Great work on the roughout, Ken! I'd paint the whole thing with anchor seal... Looks like you'll have some decisions to make about bark voids when you get a chance to finish turn it. If I were closer, I'd bring some homemade hollowing tools over and help you whip one of those things into hollowform submission. PM sent.

You'll have to split that wood down a bit if you want to burn it in the stove!