Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas boxes

Christmas boxes

These are my first attempt at boxes. The first one is Ash, the second curly poplar and the third is mesquite. I tried turning a box early in my career and it was a total disaster. I swore that I would never do one again. But since it was the subject of our last turning club meeting and this months challenge I decided to try again. It is amazing how much better it works to have someone who knows what they are doing teach you. The lids are even nice and snug. I have decided I really like turning mesquite, it turns nice and polishes well. C&C welcome.

5217.jpg5218.jpg5220.jpg5219.jpg5221.jpg5223.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

nice boxes Brian. I especially like the poplar

I have tried a couple of ash (mountain ash that is) boxes, but it moved to much on me to get a tight fit. I thought it was dry, but must have been wrong! Those look great, and I am surprised by the poplar.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I like the form of the first two best, with the poplar my favorite. Very nice.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Very nice! Especially like the curly poplar, a type of wood I've never tried. Looks like you already have boxes down pat.

Nicely done! I like the exaggerated curve on the first two. The finish on all three looks to be top notch!

Those are some fine looking boxes Brian. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice chunk of Mesquite, any idea where I can get ahold of some?

Next up I expect to see a multi axis box with a twist.

J

Very nice boxes Brian! I like the shapes on all of them, but that curly poplar sure is cool!

Jason....don't tell me you don't have any mesquite lying around
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

All are nice but the curly poplar is striking!

I'm fairly certain he got it from me. We traded some wood while I was up there this summer. I also did my lidded box with a twist demo for his club.

J

All of them are great. The Curly poplar has my vote though.

I failed to mention that the mesquite did come from Jason. *Thanks Jason. *He actually gave it to me when I went to visit him in Mesa. *It was originally going to be turned into bowls, but when I cut into it it had some odd cracks and voids inside, so it became smaller pieces like these boxes, and some salt and pepper shakers for my wife. *

About the multi axis box, Jason came last July and spoke to our club. *He did a multi axis turning demo. *He was one of our best demonstrators ever. *Just so you know Jason, I tried a multi axis box for our club challenge. *It worked...sorta. *It ended up in the trash, but it was fun anyway. *Then the trauma with my lathe started, and I haven't been back to it since. *Just one more thing to work on.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Nice job... i like the round top and bottom of the last one, but any curly wood will steal the show
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Those are amazing Brian! I did one like the first 2 forms for my wife's ring box...when she works Labor & delivery she can't wear her ring. I re-turned it to add some beads on the top and the joint line. The form is almost to simple! You're finish is of the hook!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots