Thread: Replacement Feet for Powermatic 3520B?

Replacement Feet for Powermatic 3520B?

Does anyone know where I can get some better feet for my 3520B? I want something better than the white plastic ones it came with (they keep breaking when I move the lathe).

Thanks

These have been tempting. I looked at them and was very tempted.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...ed-4-Pack.aspx

I broke one just nudging it a little. I have thought of making my own with some higher grad bolts and some home made pads.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have the pads Josh posted. The little plastic "cog" used to raise or lower the pad can be a little rough on the fingers. The only thing I don't like about them is they made my lathe a little too high. Very handy though.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I too have those from Wood River. They are very handy, but like Nate says, a little rough to turn the cog to raise. I end up using a block and lever to raise each end of the lathe to take the weight off and then easily turn the cog to engage the wheels.

Craft Supplies has these Machine Mount - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.

The casters would raise the lathe too much for me, but if you are tall...

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Mcmaster and Carr, look up machine feet. They have a large selection of heavy duty feet.

Eric,
    Some time ago I bought a hydraulic table from Harbor Freight. It was for a different use but I found it to be the perfect jack to move my PM3520. I just wheel it under the bed and give a pump or two on the foot operated cylinder and the machine is on wheels. Since I have it leveled in one spot. I mark the position on the floor so I can put it back without having to level it.
    faust

Thanks for the answers so far. To be clear, I'm not trying to find a mobile solution. I already have the Lift Lock N’ Roll, which works great. However, if the little plastic leveling feet hit something while moving, the plastic rips right in half. I just need a sturdier foot. I figured there was some after market standard.

Mark, I see lots of interesting choices at Mcmaster and Carr. I guess I need something low profile to continue using my Lift Lock N’ Roll, huh? Strange, it looks like they all have plastic on the bottom, just like the ones PM uses. I guess that's because plastic is non-marring.

The ones I linked to appear (can't tell for sure though) to have a firm rubber pad instead of plastic, at least that's what I assume because they talk bout vibration damping, which plastic generally doesn't do. That lift device looks sweet, if a little pricey. I wonder how many of us turn on a nice hardwood floor like that? .

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Dan, the machine mounts from CSUSA do look pretty good. So do these Vibration dampening level mounts from Mcmaster and Carr. QUESTION: What size thread do I need to fit the PM3520? 3/8" - 16? I assume the threads need to thread into the metal base legs of the PM3520.

I made my lathe feet from UHMW plastic from a 1/2" thick cutting board using a circle cutter. Price? Free!! Had the old UHMW.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

3/8 X 16 is the correct thread. Pay attention the the capacity per mount pounds ratings though, including any ballast you might have. This link narrows the choices to that thread size. McMaster-Carr

I kind of like the third group down, "vibration damping swivel leveling mounts" - the swivel compensates for uneven floors. They also have a smaller base, which should improve floor contact. My basement floor is very uneven. They will handle 200 pounds per mount, which is pushing the limit for lathe plus ballast. Downside to these for is they would raise the lathe height by about an inch due to the thicker foot.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Eric,
    Are the feet breaking because you're hitting something as you move the lathe, or are they getting cracked when the lathe is lowered. I watched the video several times to see how the lift is made and the square cam seems to be kind of rough as you "drop" the 300+ pounds of lathe back onto each ends feet. Seems the lift might work better if it had a round cam/lever that would let you lower the lathe gently. I'm not knocking the lift, I really think it's a great idea.