Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting With Norfolk Island Pine, 1 of 3

Experimenting With Norfolk Island Pine, 1 of 3

This is a vase in Norfolk Island Pine (NIP) that's 12" X 7 1/2". It was an experiment in that I had never turned NIP and had decided to forego the thought that "form is everything" and concentrate on translucence and finish. Have never really tried to turn anything very thin before and should have tried it on something smaller. The first mistake I made was to accept a piece of wood that some guys from south Florida couldn't swap for other wood. The more experienced turners could tell that it was way too dry and spaulted to be any good. Turning it was like turning cement - it came off in chunks so I tossed it in the garbage. Then spent the evening on Ron Kent's website, he's the master of NIP, reading about using a mixture of concentrated dishwashing detergent. Took the NIP out of the garbage, got the detergent, soaked it overnight and it then turned smoothly. Had to do this twice to get it down to turnable portions. Decided to put a concave section at the top to make the spaulted area look like flames. Got several gallons of boiled linseed oil, mixed it with mineral spirits, 50/50, and started a 24 hour in the mixture, 24 hour out/drying process that went on for about a month. Once the dunking stopped I let it dry out and had to do so for over two months before the seeping of oil stopped. Must be the humidity in Pensacola. Tried using diluted shellac, then satin WOP and finally settled on glossy WOP because it improved the values (lights versus darks) though I normally don't like a glossy finish. The cost of the BLO, mineral spirits and detergent was almost $100 and the cost of NIP if you must buy it, is high. Therefore, I decided to experiment with three pieces and the other two will be posted soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd call that a successful experiment! I think the form looks great and it looks like you got it plenty thin, and the wood is just Wow! Really cool effect with the flame look.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

i have not seen the translucent nip before, very nice

thanks for the tip about detergent, i'm wet behind the ears regarding nip myself, maybe i will try another piece

I agree, this experiment was a success!

WOW!!!! Bill, this one was worth the effort!! WOW!!!!

I don't think I could ever create something that beautiful let alone as a experiment WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it Bill. Simple but elegant. Well worth the time.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is quite the experiment! Awesome results Bill!

This is a timely post for me... I've got three hunks of this stuff that I'm planning to turn into fairly similar shapes for pendant light covers. I think you've achieved a fantastic effect with these... I'm looking forward to seeing two and three!

Ive read Ron Kent's site a time or two, but any other tips you have for working with this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

That's a beautiful piece, you really got the translucence to shine...I will have to review that site you mention, before doing another one. Sure looks like you couldn't have done much better on this that what you did.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Bill,
    If your $100 worth of supplies last you through the other two pieces your costs will be down to 33 bucks a vase. That's cheap for such a stunning piece. It looks alive.
    faust

Very impressive work Bill! Well worth the extended efforts and cost! I look forward to seeing the other two!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ill give ya 100$ for it with out a 2nd thought!

Now that's really dramatic!!! Well worth the effort.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

wow, that really is beautiful - all the hard work definitely paid off.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks