Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $40 gift card to spend at Lowe's, have no clue what to get

$40 gift card to spend at Lowe's, have no clue what to get

If you only had $40 to spend at Lowe's, is there anything you would get immediately?? I know that's a very broad question. I supposed I could always stock up on sanding discs, or grab the router base kit with the extension handle on it that is on clearance, or maybe a nice spiral cutting bit for the router, which I own none of. Without telling you guys every single piece of equipment and tools that I own, I know there's really no way you can suggest something to me that you know for sure I don't already have, so just treat this question as more of a "do you know of any $40 deals going on right now" kind of question. I could also just save it, but it's burning a hole in my pocket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_88288-414-BS250D_4294857572+5003697_4294937087_?productId=11 03271&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qt y_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_15%2B25_429 4857572%2B5003697_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd _lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7 C1&facetInfo=$15%20-%20$25
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Depending on what kind of woodworking you do.. I would look at all the essentials and make sure you have one. ie marking, layout, measurement, .. I spend my last gift guard on getting a nice framing hammer and a long level.

I went through the anarchist tool chest and made sure I had all the necessary tools. If you are more a power tool or hybrid user, a good of allen wrenches or whatever tool(s) you need for setup/adjustment for each tool with a magnetic strip dedicated to each tool is nice. And you can never have enough clamps.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

A couple gallons of mineral spirits & a good paint brush will put a good sized dent in a $40 card.
    Some 2x4's should finish it off.

Flat washers.
    Waterless hand cleaner.
    Light bulbs.
    AAA and AA batteries.
    Utility blades.

Not real glamerous in the grand scheme of things I know, but, stuff like that is something I always seem to need.

One word - screws.

ratchet end box wrenches,
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

I just used one to buy their roller stand with the flip top. It has the small ball rollers or the one large roller. Works fairly well for supporting my re-saw sled.

another word- clamps

Give it to your wife and earn some brownie points with her. They're much more valuable than Blowes gift cards.

It would have put a dent in the sump pump I had to buy yesterday for my shop.

What about material for a shop improvement project?

Don't buy finishing material until you actually need it. It doesn't have very long shelf lives. Save the card until you DO need something. Gift cards can be used forever.

Funny, I was just there the other day with the same situation. $50 card, what to buy. I considered a PC forschner set, I looked at some k body revos, I nearly bought a Rockwell 12V mini drill driver. I wound up buying a pile of incandescent light bulbs and batteries for the kids toys. Not real glamourous, but things I actually needed. I'd like to thank our Senate for having the foresight to tell me what kind of light bulbs I should use in my house. They can't agree on how to run the country or what kind of toilet paper to stock in the Senate water closet, but they have the light bulb thing all figures out. So I got a several year supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Funny, I was just there the other day with the same situation. $50 card, what to buy. I considered a PC forschner set, I looked at some k body revos, I nearly bought a Rockwell 12V mini drill driver. I wound up buying a pile of incandescent light bulbs and batteries for the kids toys. Not real glamourous, but things I actually needed. I'd like to thank our Senate for having the foresight to tell me what kind of light bulbs I should use in my house. They can't agree on how to run the country or what kind of toilet paper to stock in the Senate water closet, but they have the light bulb thing all figures out. So I got a several year supply.
    I was going to say a socket set as they had some killer deals but think they ended on Dec 31st.

Only the 100 w bulbs are on the list this year. Incandescent bulbs are not banned as most believe. they just have to be more efficient. the new bulbs are in the pic below. This fact has not been promoted much IMHO because bulb sales are way up with people stocking up. The new bulbs are more expensive so one still saves $$$$ $3.99/6 pack old style vs $5.99 /6 Pack for the new style.

http://www.sunherald.com/2011/12/31/...standards.html

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-02-2012 at 2:12 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

glue,
    Kreg pocket hole supplies
    drill bits
    clamps
    biscuits for biscuit jointer
    welding supplise(if you have a welder)
    pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

OK, buy $40 worth of incandescent bulbs, store them a year, then resell on the black market for 3x the price