Thread: Windsor stool . Cherry and ash w/ inlay

Windsor stool . Cherry and ash w/ inlay

This stool is 18" tall and the seat is 13" d. The seat is gummy cherry. The legs and stretchers are ash. The inlay is wenge. I like to leave inlays raised slightly and pillowed over on the edges.
    This is the first time I tried the x-brace stretchers. One stretcher runs between two legs and has a hole bored through it. The other two are tenoned into it and pegged. A little carving makes it appear as though the stetchers are mitered in the center.

Brian Millspaw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those stretchers are nicely done. Was the inlay covering a sap pocket or something, or purely decorative?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I really like this piece. Bravo on both the design and the execution. It's masterful how you got those stretchers mated like that in the middle. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice. Great job on the stretchers. So what is with the "shark?" inlay, is it your logo? It's cool.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Outstanding. The stretchers are cool. The shark inlay is perfect IMHO. It really goes swimmingly well with the grain and coloring in the top.

Cool.

I was looking at the figure in the seat, thinking "what else would work" for an inlay. First thing that came to mind was an ultrasound picture of an embryo.

I like to put an inlay on my work to really mark it handmade. The shark is not a logo, i was just looking at the grain and trying to come up with something creative.
    Todd,
    Now I really wish I had done a little embryo sucking its thumb ... Perfect!

-Brian

This is a very nice stool. It was very well done. I am wondering about the raised inlay though. I would be afraid of the raised portions affecting the comfort of the user. While the raised surface looks great, I think it would not be a good feature for a seat.

I've done a lot of testing on my chair seats and anything sticking out under about 1/8" you cannot feel as long as it is rounded over. These inlays are raised 1/16 or less. Despite the princess and the pea story peoples bottoms are not sensitive enough to detect minute variations. Do you feel uncomfortable sitting on your wallet ?

-Brian

Actually I don't sit on my wallet any more. About 10 years ago I switched it to front pocket just because it was bothering me. For your project however, the real proof is in what you and your intended customer feels. If there were a noticeable bump I am sure you would know.