Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morticer

Morticer

Any recommendaitons on a bench top morticer? Or a floor model for that matter.

Jerry,

I bought the General International 75-050T M1 primarily for the style of holddown, clamp and tilting ability.

Regardless of which one you buy, buy a set of diamond honing cones and hone the chisels on the inside and hone the outside flat surfaces. If the chisels aren't sharp, you will be disappointed with the operation.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What is your budget?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the Delta 651. It is a great, solid machine, but you need patice when setting it up it. Clamp the workpieces instead of relying on the hold down. The chisels are junk so use them for practicing sharpening and mortising. I found the Rockler chisels to be of decent quality to replace the stock ones. You can also try Lee Valley. The chisels have to be very sharp. I use the sharpening cones from Rockler along with honig the outsides (read up on this). If you are hobbiest a bench top machine will serve you well unless you expect machinist precison out of the machine, then purchase a floor standing one. If you are in a buissness situation purchase a foor standing machine, you will be happier. Also check your old friend, Craigslist.

I bought the Powermatic a little over a year ago during the big Jet/Powermatic sale at Woodcraft. At the time it looked like the best bang I could get for the money. Of course it's still unopened, but I derive considerable pleasure from moving the box around the shop.

Around $600-700. As long as the bride is not with me. I just got two hand planes snuck into the shop that had been in my trunk for two months.

Thumbs up on the powermatic. Mine did not come with chisels so I have only been exposed to aftermarket good ones! Of course sharp is key and the PM comes with a sharpening cone.
    i like the hold down system and the adjustments. The whole machine feels very solid and well put together. Adjustments are precise and stay put once set.
    i have not found a way to easily do end gain mortises so not so hot for floating tenons in frame and panel. Not sure any of the other machines have that sorted either.

Good luck

Mike

If you can find a horizontal slot mortiser, they are far superior to the vertical machines with the combination chisel/drill. Laguna makes one that's reasonably priced.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I heartily agree with Ken. I have the Delta, which is fine, but every time I look at that General with the tilting ability and the clamping, I wish I'd gone that route. Also, I work at a tool retailer, and get to look at that General all the time. I think it is mocking me. Bryan is right about the Delta--have to clamp that wood down.

The General Ken recommends as well as the PM 719T are excellent mortisers but unless used are roughly twice his budget. New it will have to be a bench top, in that case the PM 701 would be my choice.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

The GI I have is a bench top model....and currently is selling at Woodcraft for $619 and the chisels come with it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the PM 701 and it has been great. The fence system and hold downs are very good for a bench top machine. I was considering a floor standing model, but just completed over 20 mortises with little issues. A joy to use.

I also have the general benchtop that tilts. Been real happy with it and have done a ton of mortices with it.
    As a side note take Ken's advice and get the diamond honing cones with whatever you get...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Van,

The GI I have is a bench top model....and currently is selling at Woodcraft for $619 and the chisels come with it.
    You are indeed correct I was thinking of the 75 not the 50, the 75 is "technically" not a floorstander either but it is built like a floorstander and not very "mobile".

Between the PM and the General 50 it is a toss up depending on how you prioritize, the General has a better clamp, tilts and swiwels and longer stroke but 1/3 less horsepower and is more money depending on how much you spend on chisels for the PM. Tough call.

PS Tools-plus has the Gneral 50 for $619.99 with free shipping chisels included.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-04-2012 at 1:12 AM.