Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box

My laser is a 24x36 table so I cut the 32x40 matboard into 2 pieces 20x32. I was able to put 16 sets of the box on each sheet. It took 33 minutes to cut all 16 sets so just over 2 minutes each for cutting time. The assembly took longer than the cutting but the wow factor at the meeting was worth the time. I wanted to do a cutout in the lid part but decided against it so they couldn't see the cookie until the box was opened. This would work great with different colors of matboard and engraving on the lid. I also have the Magic Touch system and plan on doing some boxes with full color print on the top of the box.

here is one in cardboard'
    http://youtu.be/EYayNCpdeuE cardboard box lasered

Looks like someone took this book idea and made a kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e?ref=category

I feel happy if someone can make some money with it

Regards,
    Hannu
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

Hannu's design is much more elegant and practical to assemble. The design in the kickstarter project is based on an old posting on Thingiverse.

And Hannu, thank you very much for your generosity as I am also using your design to show case what the laser can do and hopefully get some orders
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

The box layout and design is flawless. I did a test on 1/8" baltic birch and it was a go!!!! I have subscribed to the website to design these boxes, It is a great deal and such a low cost to get things done. My students now have it madewithout the headache of making major design mishaps!!! Thanks and will post pics of student successes.
    Mike Berndt

Lastly a few different designs, thanks to all for your interest. Stan, nice video - Bill and Khalid, I hope that you'll get some big orders

Best regards,
    Hannu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

Hey Hannu,
    Boy how long did that lattice pattern one in the middle take to laser??? Cool combo of materials with the Acrylic one. I tried some mat-board last night and some fun foam but the fun foam wasn't as fun as I thought it would be and not very practical since it is already flexible and it does stretch a little plus the laser melts it a little bit so you don't have clean crisp lines, more like little bulges, on the hinge area. I was going for the color combo of the iridescent purple and green. Since my fav color is apurple and my daughter's is green, I was going to cut 1 of each and swap some parts.

Since you have a 60 watt also, I would be curious to see how long it would take on our Trotec to cut the same one. PM me if you want to send the file direct to my email for a comparison or post it here if you want.

Thanks and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Hi Michael,

The cutting (design at the middle) took about 15 minutes (if I remember right). I think your Trotec is much more quicker (I'm envious ). The last design on the right side isn't finished - it is a combination of acrylic and hardboard (just a test) - you have to make some adjustment, especially you have to fix the small "locking" pieces (you'll notice after cutting). Pictures what I've made with Corel aren't so perfect at all, so you have to make your own adjustment for those to get the best results... (...and again, I'm sorry about my English...). (Attached files; design 2 is made from hardboard - design 3 is made from acrylic and hardboard)

Best regards,
    Hannu
    Attached Files Attached Files

the box is great

the box design is great
    Attached Images Attached Images

What would you get for a basic box like this? I am going to make a few few and sell them to raise money for my middle school woodworking program. Thanks again Hannu for putting this out there.

Mike Berndt

super cool, very unique! luv it!
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Quote Originally Posted by Hannu Rinne View Post
    Hi Michael,

The cutting (design at the middle) took about 15 minutes (if I remember right). I think your Trotec is much more quicker (I'm envious ). The last design on the right side isn't finished - it is a combination of acrylic and hardboard (just a test) - you have to make some adjustment, especially you have to fix the small "locking" pieces (you'll notice after cutting). Pictures what I've made with Corel aren't so perfect at all, so you have to make your own adjustment for those to get the best results... (...and again, I'm sorry about my English...). (Attached files; design 2 is made from hardboard - design 3 is made from acrylic and hardboard)

Best regards,
    Hannu
    HEy Hannu,
    Thanks for sharing the files. I ran them in the time estimator and they came out as follows:
    design2 = 12:53 without doing anything other than convert to my colors and make all lines "hairline"
    design2 = 11:27 used vector ordering (optimizer in Trotec Job Control) using 2" lens
    design2 = 9:04 used vector ordering (optimizer in Trotec Job Control) and settings for 1 1/2" lens.

Will try to laser a few to see how actual time comes out but it is usually accurate to within a few seconds.

Does your system allow you to optimize your vectors?

Thanks again and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Hi Michael,

GCC print driver includes the optimization mode for vector, but I haven't tried it yet... (thank's for the tip - I have to test it to see how much it will speed up cutting )

Best regards,
    Hannu

Hannu,
    The optimization mode and cluster setting can save more time than you can imagine. I have an anodized aluminum piece that has three sections that I engrave. If I engrave them all "normally", without cluster, they take 2:35. If I use cluster it reduces the time to 1:10 - that's quite a bit considering I have thousands of parts to run. The cluster setting should be the distance between segments that you want to engrave separately - mine are all over 2.75" apart so I set cluster to 2.5 - anything that is farther than 2.5" away gets engraved separately.

Gary