Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foyer table apron question

Foyer table apron question

I ma trying to decide the apron height for this table. This is not finished, still have to taper the legs, and put an edge on the top, and put a design on bottom of apron.
    The top is 48" wide by 16" deep. The base is 42" wide. The current apron is 8" in height.

Do you think the apron height is too tall?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its a little tall for my taste, if you are going to taper the legs the apron will need to be cut down considerably. An arch in the apron goes well with tapered legs also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    I would estimate a 6" apron arched to 3 or 4". You could do some paper or cardboard cutouts to get proportions that you like.

8" is to big. I'd say settle on a arch or design, put it on a piece of 6" plywood and see what you think. Then just buzz off a little until you come up with something pleasing. Are you planning on putting any drawers in it? That could also effect the height.

Too heavy for my taste. Taper the legs then trim down the sides to between 4-6 inches then cut in an arc that blends in. The end result should be pleasing to the eyes.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have never done an arch, and do not own a band saw. I do have nice Bosch jig saw, and of course a router and table.
    would you all recommend arching the end aprons also?

I'd arch all four sides with the same radius. I'd probably setup up some plywood for a work surface, add a block the same thickness as my apron material, and use a router trammel to cut the arc. Place the block whatever distance you need to make the radius of the arc work out and cut it in multiple passes. If you have an OSS and a much better hand than I do when driving a jig saw, I'm sure that would work well too, but I like my method, all the skill is in the setup and none in the execution.

I also vote for arching all 4 sides but wouldn't use the same radius. I would cut all 4 arc's the same depth into the aprons so if the arc is 2 inches on the front, it would be 2 inches on the sides. I'd also suggest using your jig saw to cut MDF patterns and then routing the curve with a pattern router bit.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I also vote for arching all 4 sides but wouldn't use the same radius. I would cut all 4 arc's the same depth into the aprons so if the arc is 2 inches on the front, it would be 2 inches on the sides. I'd also suggest using your jig saw to cut MDF patterns and then routing the curve with a pattern router bit.

That makes much more sense. That's the look I actually intended, I just didn't think through the radii differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    +1 from me
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Updated - Made the arc

I have cut the arc into the aprons - looks much better, and tapered the legs. Now ready for glue up and finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that a lot. Good job!

Jerome,
    Thanks for the nice replay. Making the arcs were a bit tricky.

Much better. Good work.

Nice job. Much better than the original pictures. Virtual woodworking at its best.