Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Forest WW II Blades

Sharpening Forest WW II Blades

For those that have their WW II blades sharpened.

Is it worth the cost of shipping etc. to return Forest WW II blades to Forest for factory sharpening?

Does Forest special grind their blades which a local reputable sharpening service cannot duplicate.

It's worth the cost if you want it done right. They go over every tooth and inch of the blade, it's a lot more than just getting a blade sharpened. My last WW11 lasted 10 years and was sharpened twice.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Some local sharpeners are every bit as good as Forrest....some not. If you're not sure about yours, it's really not worth the risk over a few dollars difference. I'd stick with Forrest, Scott Whiting, Ridge Carbide, and a handful of others.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott: I can't see in your profile where you are located. It is definitely NOT worth it if you are in Canada. Shipping, brokerage and sharpening are more than a new blade.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

If it needs repaired, chipped tooth, it worth sending to Forrest.

I have a local service that does a very nice job on all my blades, however I believe Forrest is still slightly better at sharpening.....especially their own blades. Is it worth it for you....only you can decide. For me is was, and so I built a plywood box which allowed me to send 6 blades at a time. It cost a little more than 1 new blade, but was like getting 6 new blades back.

If you have to ship it for sharpening anyway than the only difference is in the cost of sharpening, in which case a good quality service isn't going to save you too much and is more a risk than Forrest whose quality is a given. If you have a good quality local service, than the cost difference will be more substantial.

good luck,
    JeffD

What does Forrest charge to sharpen a WWII? Where are they located? I'm about to send out 2 WWII blades for their first sharpening. I had planned to use the same company that my local Woodcraft uses: Standard Saw in Oakland. Cost is $14.95 plus a few bucks to UPS it (40 miles). 3 - 4 day turn around.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott - go to their website - and click on sharpening - they have the price list there. They are in New Jersey.

40t 10" is $21.00 plus return shipping.

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.co...harpening.html
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks Kent. I'm on the left coast so shipping + sharpening would run ~$35-40. A bit pricey unless Forrest does a significantly better sharpening job than the local guy.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I am lucky enough to have s good local shop. My WWII never cut as good as when I got it back from them. Many folks are not so lucky and it doesn't make sense to send a $100 blade to a questionable service.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was the victim of a poor local sharpening service. Since then I've sent all my blades, Forest and others, in for sharpening. I've been very pleased with the sharpening, but it does cost more and takes longer.
    Wood'N'Scout

I have always just used Forrest. For the cost it was never worth trying anyone else to see if they were as good.

Gary....that's always been my thinking. I wouldn't mind saving ten bucks, but I've never wanted to run the risk. If someone in Atlanta gave me a hands-down highly recommended local service, I'd give it a run, I guess.

Plus - I have enough blades & backups that I almost never ship out just one at a time....cuts down on the shipping $$$$ a bit.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You might try Scott Whiting at Scott's Sharpening Service. He's in AZ so he might be significantly cheaper shipping-wise. I used him for several blades including my WWII and some knives.

http://scottssharpening.com/

I sent mine to Forrest last year and had the blade back within 5 days of me sending it out.
    Don