Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening Forest WW II Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    It's worth the cost if you want it done right. They go over every tooth and inch of the blade, it's a lot more than just getting a blade sharpened. My last WW11 lasted 10 years and was sharpened twice.
    Sorry, it's not, and they don't.
    1. AFAIK, All sharpening at forrest, except for tooth repair,is now done by CNC based sharpening machine. They do quick checks of blades to see if they are damaged, then throw them in the CNC. This is true of most sharpeners these days.
    2. I've sent 5 blades to forrest over the past 3 years. On 2 of them they missed chipped teeth that needed repair (they were not damaged in transit, it came back with the wax coating perfectly intact with a clearly damaged tooth in it). 2 of the remaining 5 were nicely sharpened. 1 was "sharpened", but done very badly and didn't cut well.

Since then i've stopped using forrest, and started using dynamic saw, who have done an amazing job for me in all cases.

Forrest is a pretty high volume operation these days. This can make them hit or miss sometimes.

Here is a place you may want to try, I have only used them one time so far but they did an excellent job, and they do sharpen Forrest blades.
    This is from their web site.
    Print this Cook's Sharpening Cash Coupon and present it to your sales representative or mail it in with your first order.
    We will sharpen one carbide tipped saw blade of any style or brand at no charge and will provide free return shipping or delivery in about a week. Offer good for first time Cook Industrial Tool customers only. Limit one coupon per customer. Broken tips will be repaired at normal cost.

http://www.cookssharpening.com/index.html

I have 2 Forrest ww blades that I took back to them to have them sharpen. Was less than impressed with their customer service. The office staff were a little taken aback by my walking in to drop off my blades.Noone in the office could take my order. I had to wait 15 to 20 minutes for the guy in receiving to accept my order.It is what it is. Blades came back sharp. Next time out I went to Ridge Carbide.Smaller operation,very personable people.When asked if he would mind sharpening his competitors blades he said he didn't mind one bit making them cut better than when they were new. They did an excellent job.

I'll give you my take on Forest. They are OVER, over rated, and over priced! Forest is a sharpening service that also makes blades. I sent a WWII back to Forest that lost five teeth when it hit one of those staples that hold a SKU tag on. (I have saw through many of them with other brands of blades and no damage.) After all was said and done, about ten bucks more would have gotten me a NEW WWII. Some time later, I sent a 12", 100 tooth HATB Freud blade to Dynamic with similar damage (not mine) and cost was about $25 to replace teeth and sharpen.

After I sent my first forrest blade back for sharpening to Forrest I decided it was too expensive and too much hassle as I live in Canada. So I asked the local Lee Valley store who they recomend. They suggested European Saw Sharpening in Surrey, B.C. Blades have never been sharper.
    But what I would really like to know is "what do you have to do to get your Forrest blade to last 10 years with only TWO sharpenings"?

I have used most of the big services over the years and Forrest is about in the middle of my list. Ridge and Dynamic are at the top of my list.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hey Glen,

What sharpening service do you use? I had a local one in Pomona ruin a WWII for me. They ground the sides of the teeth too much and the blade burned from then on, because of no side clearance.

Rick Potter