Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Resin ?

When the AS dries I will grab a picture of it.

They sell the table top slow resin add lowes as well. As stated it isnt cheap..like $35 or so . I personally like things as natural as possible. What ive done in the past is use my roughest turning wheel on my grinder and hit the side of it with some bark creating some dust and bits of bark...i then use ca and my dust/bark mix. its glossy but very natural looking. I would think epoxy would do the same. If your simply trying to fill the entire thing with epoxy I would worry about it settling and making an indention of sorts.

On a side note I dont like any of the random turquoise, brass stuff others use..really tacky imo..to each their own though

I prefer not to have the common materials included as well, to each their own ofcourse. I usually just do as you suggested and the void is filled in and its not really anything that stands out. I figured I might be able to personalize this one as a gift to the feller who found and helped me get all these burls, hence the bear tooth or claw. The brass on Wingerts game calls is outstanding however, but then again, each item is different and can really go with a certain item used as filler etc.

Ken I think the mirror coat with the bear claw would look awesome. I have used the mirror coat and mixed it with dyes. It works pretty well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

DSC_2796.jpgDSC_2797.jpg

I will check into that Bernie

Here is one I just roughed. It has a similiar void but this one goes all the way through and I would like to keep those areas. New area for me as I usually do not have these types of defect in what I am used to turning.....atleast at this level.

I oiled the rough out and am standing by with CA in hand if thats what is considered the best way to proceed. Advice,tipes, suggestions?

Neat looking piece, Ken! I'd paint it with anchor seal or at least bag it with fresh shavings... It loves to crack, and I don't know that the oil will be enough.

Ken,

I wouldn't worry about the voids that are contained by solid wood, but if the void reaches the rim, I would give a good dose of CA and proceed carefully. I have at times applied tape or stretch wrap around the outside while turning the inside for extra support. If it is only bark that is holding a section on, it could come off, so proceed with caution. Go slowly with light cuts, stay out of the "line of fire" and as always protect your face and head. Good luck!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

It could be cast with polyurethane resin but it would need to be dry. Polyester resin shrinks to much and could pull away from the wood. but Epoxy resin would work well also. If I were to use epoxy I would get the thinnest possible.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    It could be cast with polyurethane resin but it would need to be dry. Polyester resin shrinks to much and could pull away from the wood. but Epoxy resin would work well also. If I were to use epoxy I would get the thinnest possible.

Alan
    Expanding on what Alan said, I have read(no experience) that when working with wood it is best to use an epoxy verses any of the poly resins. The epoxy apparantly actually cross-links with the wood cell structure and is very strong where as the p-resins kind of sit on the top of the wood and aren't very good structurally. Just food for thought.

"The best things in life are not things."

David, i oiled it so the CA wouldnt cause a color issue...I will CA glue anything near the rim then AS the entire thing and wait her out

I willd o some more reading on the resin & epoxy. Once the bowl is dry and ready for finishing I will repost and see what everyone thinks

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Expanding on what Alan said, I have read(no experience) that when working with wood it is best to use an epoxy verses any of the poly resins. The epoxy apparantly actually cross-links with the wood cell structure and is very strong where as the p-resins kind of sit on the top of the wood and aren't very good structurally. Just food for thought.
    Actually polyurethane resins will bond very well and I have a lot of experience with it but it needs to be cast under pressure. Polyester shrinks and will separate. If you are not going to cast under pressure the epoxy would be best.

Alan

Ken, Ive found walnut bark to be spectacular in filling that color..looks kind of like the deep reds common in the ambrosia I find. The only catch would be if this cherry were to season or change color the walnut bark prob. wouldnt follow. My opinion would be this is art in motion. Capture the void and this woods characteristics while perhaps making it functional. I will say cherry likes to move and split when it starts to dry so id get it sealed really quick. You may consider getting that void sealed up somehow to it doesnt break apart if the wood moves on you. Looks great... I checked and Im about 3 hrs south of you. We'll have to catch up sometime.

I anchor sealed it and the 3 others I made today. Just the one in question has a void I would like to use. The last one I just turned got really friendly with CA glue. I dont recall ever turning anything I could see through but that is now accomplished

You are welcome anytime, if you come this way bring a truck or trailer to take some wood home!